Any way to get the New Apple TV to ignore standard IR Apple TV remotes?

The new Apple TV listens to my old Apple TV IR remote. So when I'm using my old Apple TV it keeps controlling the new one also.

My solution right now is to unplug the new Apple TV.

Answered by in 62359022

You cannot disable the IR reception from previous generation (silver) remotes. You could, however, pair an unused silver remote with your new Apple TV so that the device ignores input from any other silver remote...

Well... Since the new Apple TV is much thicker and the remote is Bluetooth based...

for now you can tilt it so the end with the light faces down to block IR signals from the receiver while allowing the Bluetooth remote to work.

🙂

I would also report this as a bug that the new Apple TV does not ignore older paired remotes.

Accepted Answer

You cannot disable the IR reception from previous generation (silver) remotes. You could, however, pair an unused silver remote with your new Apple TV so that the device ignores input from any other silver remote...

I like your workaround even better. Thanks!

The new Apple TV receiver is *seriously* sensitive. I have got my Dev Kit turned completely around and it *still* picks up signal form the old remote. So far it's no big deal, but I do worry some morning I'm going to switch back to the Dev Kit and find that I blindly ordered a bunch of iTunes season passes or something... 😮

I guess I have another old white one sitting around that I can pair to "disable" it from picking up my others.

Thanks for responding and also giving us developers the developer kit!

Nice! A vintage one ;-)

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

You don't need a spare Apple Remote, you can use your one and only remote.

Here's how it goes: Every Apple Remote has an ID, which is 0..255, so if you pair one Apple Remote with your Apple TV or Mac, it is paired to the ID of this very remote. You'll never see this ID, unless you have some special software (like "iRed Lite"). Fortunately you don't need to know the ID, it's sufficient that you can change the ID.

Hold the MENU and CENTER button of your Apple Remote for about 5 seconds, this will increase the ID by one.

So:

• pair your remote with the Apple-TV
  • increase the remote's ID by holding MENU and CENTER for about 5 seconds
  • pair this "new" remote with your Mac (if you like)

This remote will no longer trigger the Apple-TV.

Any way to get the New Apple TV to ignore standard IR Apple TV remotes?

Q