iOS 17 apps still require 5.5" iPhones screenshots?

I find odd that the App Store Connect still requires 5.5" iPhone screenshots of the iPhone 8 Plus, given that this specific phone is no longer supported by the latest release: iOS 17.

I am well aware that the iPhone SE still has a similar screen ratio, and that it is still being supported by iOS 17, but it doesn't have the same pixel requirements (1242 x 2208), which means that in order for my app to be even reviewed (which is an iOS 17+ exclusive), I'm gonna have to create images that will then be upscaled to the right dimensions.

Am I missing something here, or is it Apple who missed this detail?

Same here.

Yeah, this is an Apple fail.

For my app it's relatively easy to proportionally resize to 1242px wide, then chop off the top and bottom bits until I hit 2208px tall, but I shouldn't have to.

I'm having the same problem as everyone else, but I want to raise an additional concern.

It is my understanding that the iPhone 8+ image will only be shown to users with a device that has that aspect ratio. So that means that only users of iPhone 8+ or earlier will see those screenshots. BUT, since the app required iOS 17+, they can't run the app.

So providing the screenshots is essentially a case of BAIT AND SWITCH. By supplying the screenshots, the App Store is implying that the app is available when it is not. I don't want to speculate on Apple's motivation for doing this, but it makes ME look like the bad guy here. I don't think I should take the flack for this.

What do you think?

So that means that only users of iPhone 8+ or earlier will see those screenshots. BUT, since the app required iOS 17+, they can't run the app.

The app store won’t let you buy apps that the device won’t run.

I think no-one will see these screenshots. Has anyone tried just uploading a single blank image of the right dimensions?

Same here

I have the same issue.

I recently launched a new app and uploaded a single faked 5.5" screenshot because of this issue.

I've now noticed a couple of things:

1. On the Search Ads web interface, where it shows examples of ads for the app, it uses the single 5.5" screenshot with a huge gap. I don't know if real search ads will do that - does anyone know?

2. fnd.io uses the single 5.5" screenshot.

I suspect there could be other places.

If anyone else is considering faking 5.5" screenshots, it is probably worth making sure you fake at least three of them.

iOS 17 apps still require 5.5" iPhones screenshots?

Q