Fitness/Wellness/Health Apps on iPadOS 17 requiring HealthKit

Hey everyone,

From WWDC23 lab conversations, in order to run a fitness app, health tracking apps, etc. on iPadOS 17 that 'requires' health, you actually have to remove the UI Required Device Capabilities for Health. The UIRDC will still prohibit the app from running on iPad this fall even though from a developer lens it is satisfied.

I understand this is to allow iPhone apps a chance to upgrade and get ready for iPadOS 17, but there isn't a path forward if an app truly requires HealthKit. Namely for fitness apps that ONLY read and or write data to Health. Sure I could move my target SDK to 17, but that doesn't help my existing users who can't upgrade on iOS < 17.

What is the path forward for Apps that want to target something like the following?

• iOS 14+
  • watchOS 7+
  • iPadOS 17+

Socializing the idea of having an App Store Connect feature or checkbox to allow / opt into being available on iPadOS 17+. The same applies for App Clips that also require HealthKit.

FB12327957 - Health / App Store Connect: Ability to make HealthKit required on iPadOS and iOS together

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of edorphy Down vote post of edorphy