Where to get 5.5 inch iPhone screenshots for submission

Hello, I'm new to iOS development and I'm trying to take some screenshots of my app to submit to the App Store. I'm running Ventura 13.0.1 and XCode 14.1. So far I've used these simulators to take screenshots:

• 6.5 inch - iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • 6.7 inch - iPhone 14 Pro Max
  • 12.9 inch - iPad Pro 6th gen

What I'm stuck on is getting the 5.5 inch screenshots, which are required for App Store submission. As far as I can tell from some online searching, the latest iPhone with that screen size was the 8 Plus. I've installed the oldest iOS simulator that XCode has listed (iOS 13.7), but it still won't let me run a simulator for the iPhone 8 Plus to get those screenshots. I don't have the physical device to take screenshots on. Does anyone know how to get the 5.5 inch screenshots without having to manually resize them?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of kollinmurphy Down vote post of kollinmurphy
51k views

Replies

wait so my app targets iOS 16 and I cannot make a mandatory screenshot on an iOS 16 device? What in the actual f....?

Okay so it's the same aspect ratio as the SE but seriously this is broken.

Grumble!

• also the SE is lower resolution. Wow, this is terrible

Add a Comment

My solution:

1. Create screenshots with iPhone SE simulator with iOS 17.
  2. Download iPhone 8 Plus simulator with iOS 16.4
  3. Drag the screenshots into the iPhone 8 Plus simulator.
  4. Open the screenshots with Photos app in the simulator.
  5. Screenshot the screenshots.

muito obrigado. salvou minha vida. abraços do Brasil

Ran into that as well. After some research - and not being able to get the 8 Plus simulator since it cannot run iOS 17+ - I use the iPhone SE (3rd generation) and then resize the image with some batch command or via preview: selecting all screenshots and then resizing them.

Works like a charm.

One more thing: when you make a screenshot - and I did many [!!!] they will be saved as PNG. When you upload them they might - probably will - fail since they might include alpha channels. Apple does not like that. So, convert them to JPG with some batch converting mechanism and they will be fine and are no trouble at all!

God bless!

The solution is to install an older iOS platform in Xcode, along with the latest. This is not done using the Simulator tool but from Xcode.

1. Open Xcode
  2. Open Settings
  3. Choose the Platforms tab
  4. Click the + icon to add a new platform
  5. Choose the operating system and version that you need.

After the download finishes, you can create a new simulator from the Simulator tool: File -> "New simulator..." The newly installed OS should be selectable.