iPadOS 15.5 beta 3 incompatible Apple Pencil 2

15.5 beta 3 does not recognize Apple Pencil. (iPad Pro 12.9 M1)

Apple Pencil is connected but iPad does bot respond Pencil action.

“Forget Apple Pencil”, iPad cannot detect Pencil.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of soundms Down vote post of soundms
4.3k views
  • Same issue here. Pencil does not function after I attach it to the iPad pro, only when it is also attached to the magic keyboard.

Disconnect the iPad from the keyboard, pencil works again. If I then reconnect to the keyboard, the pencil works until I reattach it magnetically to the iPad. 15.5b4

Add a Comment

Replies

Same problem, I just remove the magic keyboard, and pencil works.

• Thanks! I have been wrestling with the A Pencil for a week and never thought to remove the un-magical keyboard. Pencil works great now.

Add a Comment

I am having the same issue with the Apple Pencil when it is attached to my Magic Keyboard. When I disconnect it from the keyboard, it seems to function normally.

If the Apple Pencil 2 is removed when Magic Keyboard is attached, the Pencil would not function no matter it was shown charging or connected on screen. I would have to put the Pencil back to its charging position, remove the Magic Keyboard, take out the Pencil again for the Pencil to function. The Pencil remains in function as long as it is not put back to charge, even if you attach it back to the Magic Keyboard. But if it is with the Keyboard and once you put the Pencil back to charge, you would have to perform the above again to use the Pencil. No help on soft reset or shutting down, connecting another Pencil or charging with another iPad.

• I have the same problem since I updated to 15.5 beta 3, nothing seemed to work except de-attaching the smart keyboard then re-stick the pencil while de-attached from the smart keyboard 🤦‍♂️ it’s really inconvenient and very annoying glitch, since I have to use my pencil for draw and design

Add a Comment

I have the same problem since I updated to 15.5 beta 3, nothing seemed to work except de-attaching the smart keyboard then re-stick the pencil while de-attached from the smart keyboard 🤦‍♂️ it’s really inconvenient and very annoying glitch, since I have to use my pencil for draw and design

Same problem here. Magic Keyboard seems to be the issue with this beta and Apple Pencil.

Same here...it seems to be the keyboard. When I take the iPad off the Magic Keyboard the pencil works again. Add the keyboard, without attaching the pencil to the iPad magnet the pencil still works. Once you attach the pencil again while the iPad is attached to the keyboard, the pencil stops functioning.

same here, hope there will be a update soon. that is not nice!

• Here I thought it was an isolated case affecting me only. I had taken my iPad to the Apple Store after I did a complete factory reset nwith no resolution. I am not happy about this pain in the you know what to be disconnecting my iPad from my Magic Keyboard every time I need for the Apple pencil to function properly, but I must say that I am happy to see I am not the only one. You can't tell me the developers didn't have this issue on thier own iPhones when they rolled this out. I hope they the developers prioritize this issue and roll out a patch to address it, which is effecting a number of us.

Add a Comment

same problem here, I thought it was my apple pencil that was broken, but it works perfectly with on my other ipad.

• Question for all of you who are experiencing the same issue as me with the Apple Pencil, has any of you experience an issues with the Magic Keyboard as well? I have had my Magic Keyboard acting up, where my keyboard had limited functions. No space bar, shift key not working, which meant nothing above any numbers or characters were working.

Add a Comment

I’m experiencing the same issue. Seems like a bug in the latest beta.

I got same issue with the latest iPadOS dev beta. No change even connection reset.

• Anyone also having a charging issue with the pencil 2 since the curse of 15.5 beta 3 ? I left it on charge all night and it still isn’t fully charged.

Add a Comment

The latest iPadOS15.5 dev beta FINALLY solved this Apple Pencil 2 with Magic Keyboard issue. Thanks Apple!

Same issue here. However to add complexity to this, I just experienced my Apple Pencil 2 disconnecting randomly during use (iPad Pro 12.9, 4th gen, 90% battery charge) while not connected to Magic Keyboard.

Update before post: I had to leave it alone for 15 minutes (screen off, unplugged) for it to detect again.

A new release can’t come soon enough.

I am still having the same issue in 15.6 beta. Some users are saying this has been fixed, but I am still unable to use the pencil. Not even when out of the keyboard.

Still experiencing the same issue here - 15.5 w/ Apple Pencil 2 on iPad Pro. Nothing I do seems to get the pencil to be registered as an active Bluetooth device. I’ve tried disconnecting the magic keyboard, restarting, resetting, and “forgetting” the pencil with no resolution. We need this patched ASAP - I’m sure I’m not the only professional artist who is scrambling to find alts for digital art production because of this.

I am also experiencing this issue. I am not on beta 3, but on the release version of iPadOS 15.5 on my iPad Pro 12.9 M1. Nothing seems to work, I also tried restarting, reconnecting with bluetooth and forgetting the Apple Pencil 2, but it does not work anymore right after the update to iPadOS 15.5. The only thing that happens is a small popup with "Apple Pencil" when I place the Pencil on the magnetic charging pad on the side. So it is there (and not broken), but normally it also displays the battery charge percentage when you do this, so it is not connected with bluetooth. I talked to Apple Support and they sent me to the Apple Store to have it checked out. But reading from experience here; this must be a software bug. This needs to be fixed ASAP as I am an artist and I need my Apple Pencil to do my work.