App Ownership Question

I am an architectural draftsman and I am developing an AR app so clients can view architectural designs. It will primarily be used by prefab house manufacturer's clients so they can visualize these houses on their property. I have hired a remote developer to help me develop some tricky things in Unity and currently he has the app running on his account and is using TestFlight so I can try it on my phone. My question is how should we go about deploying the app once its done? Is there a way he can deploy it under my business name? I don't want to give him my Apple passwords. Or should I ask him to send me a certain file so I can deploy it? Or maybe I should create a repository and he just pulls and pushes to that and I compile in Xcode? If I sound inexperienced it's because I am. I've built and managed to get one app onto TestFlight before so please pardon my naivety. I just want to make sure I set this up the right way. Is there any way he might suggest to do this that I should avoid? I'm assuming he may suggest to deploy the app with his own account which I would think I'd want to avoid right? Thanks in advance.

Accepted Reply

You should take ownership of your app.

• Use your Apple Developer account, and add your Developer as a member of your Team (with an appropriate role).
  • (If the app already exists under another account, then it will need to be transferred.)
  • Use your GitHub (or equivalent) source code repository, and add your Developer to that.

So everything is hosted/sourced on an account that you control.

• for second bullet point above, transfer is only required if you've shipped the app, otherwise, it can be built using a new bundle ID that is defined under your developer account.

also, for future reference, consult an intellectual property attorney and draft an "work-for-hire" contract.

Add a Comment

Replies

You should take ownership of your app.

• Use your Apple Developer account, and add your Developer as a member of your Team (with an appropriate role).
  • (If the app already exists under another account, then it will need to be transferred.)
  • Use your GitHub (or equivalent) source code repository, and add your Developer to that.

So everything is hosted/sourced on an account that you control.

• for second bullet point above, transfer is only required if you've shipped the app, otherwise, it can be built using a new bundle ID that is defined under your developer account.

also, for future reference, consult an intellectual property attorney and draft an "work-for-hire" contract.

Add a Comment

Thank you so much. I will get him to do both.

These guys have also created a backend for me and have hosted it on fast comet. I created an account and added them as users. Is that code something that should also be hosted in that (bitbucket) repository?

• I'm not familiar with fast comet, so you may want to raise this as a separate question.The answer may depend on what the backend actually is, but I would think that if it is hosted on your account, that is the main thing.

Add a Comment