ATTrackingManager.trackingAuthorizationStatus always returns .denied

I'm testing my implementation of the new App Tracking Transparency framework and am running into an issue: requestTrackingAuthorization() never shows the authorization prompt, and ATTrackingManager.trackingAuthorizationStatus always returns .denied.

I've verified that the following settings are enabled:
  • Privacy -> Tracking -> Allow Apps to Request to Track

• Privacy -> Apple Advertising -> Personalized Ads (not sure this is even related)

I've deleted and reinstalled the app and restarted my device, but to no avail.

Any ideas as to what's going on here? Notably, I do see the prompt when running on the simulator, just not when running on actual hardware.

Versions of stuff
iOS: 14.3 (18C66)
Xcode: 12.3 (12C33)

Accepted Reply

Apple released 14.5.1 and According to Apple, iOS 14.5.1 fixes a bug that prevented some users from seeing App Tracking Transparency prompts:

This update fixes an issue with App Tracking Transparency where some users who previously disabled Allow Apps to Request to Track in Settings may not receive prompts from apps after re-enabling it. This update also provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.

Updated OS, now I can see ATT dialog.

Replies

Having the same issue. Working on some devices while others are not working properly. Both running on 14.4. Apple rejected the build as they couldn't get the Modal request. Hopefully, some more info is released soon.
Not sure if this helps, but i had the same problem and only after a clean install of the latest iOS without using any of my backups i was able to change the behaviour of my device and prompt the popup asking for tracking permissions.

Apple released 14.5.1 and According to Apple, iOS 14.5.1 fixes a bug that prevented some users from seeing App Tracking Transparency prompts:

This update fixes an issue with App Tracking Transparency where some users who previously disabled Allow Apps to Request to Track in Settings may not receive prompts from apps after re-enabling it. This update also provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.

Updated OS, now I can see ATT dialog.

@itsabhiaryan Thanks for the heads-up! Updating to 14.5.1 fixed the issue for me as well.

Check this post for iOS 15. ATTrackingManager.requestTrackingAuthorization stopped working in iOS 15 https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/690607?answerId=689399022#689399022