Possible to re-use an app name?

At my day job, we have an app no longer in the store. But in iTunes Connect (App Connect), we still have an entry for it. For the sake of discussion, the name is "Foo" and has a bundle ID of a.b.c

We are creating a brand new app (so different bundle ID d.e.f) and want to re-use this "Foo" app name. Can we delete the original app in iTunes Connect, then add a new one with the same name?

We don't want to simply re-use the existing app/bundleID since this new app is totally different and want to start anew with version 1.0.

Anyone do something similar?

I don't want to delete the original app only to find out we cannot re-use that name.

Thank you.

Accepted Reply

I spoke directly with someone at Apple developer support and it is documented that if a developer account deletes an app from their account (it has to first of course meet all the requirements for deletion), that the app is then available for _any_ developer account. Thus, we're good-to-go on that front.

However (and this may be how itunesconnect originally worked), I do remember that developers typically had a short period of time after creating a new app entry to then actually put the app into the store. 90 days seems to ring a bell. Though again, I think this was the old system and it no longer applies.

Replies

I believe you can do it after deleting the original app. The procedure was well described by KMT about 2 years ago somewhere on this forum.

Another approach is to name the new app "Foo+"

Thank you PBK, I'll try to search again for existing threads. Though KMT is on a ton of them 🙂

I searched and discovered that there is a reported issue if you are trying to transfer the name from app to app from within the same developer account. Once a developer account deletes an app with a name that account can never again use that name. Any other developer account can use the name. So you will need to publish the second "Foo" app from a different developer account. Or "Foo+".

I spoke directly with someone at Apple developer support and it is documented that if a developer account deletes an app from their account (it has to first of course meet all the requirements for deletion), that the app is then available for _any_ developer account. Thus, we're good-to-go on that front.

However (and this may be how itunesconnect originally worked), I do remember that developers typically had a short period of time after creating a new app entry to then actually put the app into the store. 90 days seems to ring a bell. Though again, I think this was the old system and it no longer applies.

>I do remember that developers typically had a short period of time after creating a new app entry to then actually put the app into the store. 90 days seems to ring a bell. Though again, I think this was the old system and it no longer applies.

Ah, that would be the use it/lose it timer that targeted squatters. IIRC, it varied from 120 days to something less, over time, but I haven't kept track of current status. Support should be able to confirm current, but I doubt the lid has been taken off the practice altogether.

Ken

Oops; forgot to close this thread. Yes, it was possible to re-use an app name at the same company. Deleted the old app, and was able to add a new app (different bundle ID) with the same name.