Allow free access to paid users from another third party app.

Hi,

My app is a pay to download app, and I'm being asked if its possible to allow free access to paid users from another app.

The other app will be providing me with an api that will give access to users with passwords, so I was thinking of making another app with the same content with a user/password wall to give access.

Does anyone know if this is allowed ?

Thank you ,

- Jose.

Accepted Reply

It is a violation of the guidelines:

3.1.1 In-App Purchase:

If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, you must use in-app purchase. Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality, such as license keys, augmented reality markers, QR codes, etc.

Apple has no way to regulate who gets one of those username/passwords - for example, you could be charging people $10 on your website to get a username/password. It is possible to have two apps share information and use that shared information to unlock the content in your app. (e.g. shared containers in CloudKit, through the keychain, and I think even a file)

Replies

It is a violation of the guidelines:

3.1.1 In-App Purchase:

If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, you must use in-app purchase. Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality, such as license keys, augmented reality markers, QR codes, etc.

Apple has no way to regulate who gets one of those username/passwords - for example, you could be charging people $10 on your website to get a username/password. It is possible to have two apps share information and use that shared information to unlock the content in your app. (e.g. shared containers in CloudKit, through the keychain, and I think even a file)