'Donate to Developer' option on a free app

Hi,

I have a couple of free apps in Mac App Store.

And I've been keen to provide a link in the apps to an external web page where users can donate to the developer (whom myself).

I've read the Apple Developer Guidelines and searched some similar topics on the forum.

But I still feel confused and unsure in my circumstance.

Here's a quick summary of how it works,

• Donation to the developer is a form of gift, not for any causes.
  • 'Donate to developer' button in the apps. e.g. Somewhere in app preferences
  • WILL NOT hassle nor notify users to donate.
  • 'Donate to developer' button will open a webpage on user's default browser, where they can proceed to donate.
  • No 'in-app purchase'. Donation is purely handled via PayPal securely from the webpage.

Will this be acceptable by Apple?

Thanks

So you're asking for opinions whether Apple will be happy to allow you to use their store and worldwide ecosystem as a means of putting yourself in a position to reap income that avoids Apple taking a cut?

Is there some reason you don't just charge for your app, instead?

I think your approach fits squarely into 3.2.1(vii): Apps may enable individual users to give a monetary gift to another individual without using in-app purchase, provided that (a) the gift is a completely optional choice by the giver, and (b) 100% of the funds go to the receiver of the gift. However, a gift that is connected to or associated at any point in time with receiving digital content or services must use in-app purchase.

Thanks for looking that up PBK! Didn't even notice such a sector!

I will just continue with the free apps as they are since I don't want to risk and lose the happy users already using them.

I've noticed that some iOS apps in the App store that have a "Remove Ads" in-app purchase available.

It is possible that some customers might be purchasing this feature to reward a developer, even if they are not bothered by the ads.

(I do not know whether or not Apple requires that your app actually show any ads (if ever) before this in-app purchase option is displayed. :-)

For anyone looking for an answer to this question, App Store Review Guidelines now includes this provision:

3.1.1. (2) Apps may use in-app purchase currencies to enable customers to “tip” the developer or digital content providers in the app.

I had a link from my app to a KoFi site where users could make donations and I was gently coached to remove that once it was noticed during an app review.

'Donate to Developer' option on a free app

Q