An error occurred while verifying firmware

I am getting this error when trying to upgrade from version 10.12.6 to High Sierra. Anyone have any suggestions?

https://i.gyazo.com/2247e9c598c7618bc5dfd8052cf247e1.png

Replies

anyone have a suggestion regarding this?

Same problem hier https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/78847

Hi Pablx624,

Can you try these steps? This is what I did and would like someone to test. I posted this to another forum but they didn't even test it before giving up:

1. Reboot and reset SMC
  2. Reboot and reset PRAM
  3. Delete the macOS High Sierra installer
  4. Delete 'Beta License.lpdf' in ./Library/Documentation/
  5. Delete the folder called "Eagle" ./Library/Documentation/Resources
  6. Run the 'Public Beta Access Utility' pkg once more.
  7. Download macOS High Sierra from App Store once more (Important!)
  8. Install without APFS checked. (Important!)
  9. The install started then rebooted a couple of times.
  10. During one of the reboots the firmware update screen may come up. If so let it update your firmware.
  11. If all goes well it will finish and you will be in High Sierra. You can convert to APFS after.

If you saw your firmware update and got a panic that's ok. Keep going.

1. Reboot once more with command-r and go into recovery. Look closely to see if you are in the macOS High Sierra recovery.
  2. Run Disk Utility first aid from recovery. (encouraged)
  3. Do not reboot and instead chose to reinstall macOS High Sierra from recovery. (Important)
  4. Do NOT select the 'APFS' option.
  5. The install process should proceed and should take what seems like a LONG time. (45 minutes?)
  6. If all goes well, the computer will reboot and voila. Welcome to macOS High Sierra on a non APFS drive.

Now how do you convert to APFS? If you really want APFS then back your data up. It could go south. You can try to convert it from disk utilty while in recovery mode. You will find it under the "edit" menu once you've selected the drive.

If you have a DIY Fusion then it could fail. That's on you. For now HFS+ will be plenty fast and good.

Have same problem. MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). Am currently running 10.12.5 (non-beta version). Got the "verifying firmware" error on startup. Tried the cleanup procedure you described but it resulted in the same problem.

At the end of May, I did a fresh install of my OS -- backed up data, erased hard drive, installed 10.12.5 from a bootable USB, manually dragged-and-dropped appropiate files back to my system. So, all in all, I'm starting from a pretty clean base. Had Sophos Cloud installed but uninstalled it prior to trying to install the High Sierra beta.

Any other info you'd find useful to help diagnose this?

Hi,

Just to confirm: You removed the installer, the lpdf and eagle folder, logged out and back in of App store, downloaded the "Public Beta Access Utility" once more, ran it, then downloaded the high sierra installer?

In that order. Did you notice if you got a firmware update screen? Did you uncheck APFS? Did you try to install from recovery when the install failed from recovery?

Sorry for the 20 questions lol. I am collecting my own data. This one is a head scratcher for sure.

Happy to answer what I can -- maybe it'll help work this out! I have an idea where the snag is, maybe. I've run through the process a few times to see if I can nail down where the issue might be.

The first time I tried the workaround, I did step 3-5 (deleted original beta files) then shut down. Did steps 1-2 and then steps 6-7. I don't think deleting the files first should have made any difference. My guess is step 8 is where the problem lies.

I'm including a link to a 20-second video I filmed using my iPhone while I walk through the install process (deleted a chunk in the middle to remove my authentication, but that's it). As you can see, at no point do I have an option to install without APFS. My drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). So maybe it's because I don't have an option to omit APFS this that the installation fails?

Here's a step-by-step on how the installation goes after I click restart:

1. black screen with white Apple logo; says about 39 minutes remain.

2. High Sierra splash screen stating 39 minutes remain.

3. goes back to a black screen with white Apple logo; still says 39 minutes remain.

4. High Sierra splash screen returns with the error message about being unable to verify firmware.

5. click "Restart" button and computer reboots under 10.12.5.

At no point do I see any sign my firmware is being updated. Here are the things I've noticed that could be relevant.

1. Only the very first time that I walked through the suggested workaround was there an "Eagle" folder to delete in the ./Library/Documentation/Resources path. Even though I've repeated the workaround a few times now (even re-downloading the beta installer each time), this "Eagle" folder has never reappeared.

2. You'll see in the movie that after I authenticate, for just a moment afterwards, there is "about 6 minutes remaining". But this message disappears a moment later and I'm asked to restart to complete the installation. I wonder if this indicates something is being skipped that is crucial to the upgrade?

3. My MacBook is probably configured in typical fashion but I do perhaps operate with one variation from the norm; I doubt this should be a problem but I mention it on the off-chance it is. I normally work within a standard (non-admin) account called "chris". This is the account attached to the iCloud ID that is registered with the beta program. I have a separate admin-level account ("panopticon") that I use strictly for authenticating installations. I have tried installing the beta while logged in as "chris" (still requires authenticating as "panopticon") and also logging in directly as "panopticon" to start the install. Both methods produce the same result. The "panopticon" account does not have any iCloud ID attached to it. I doubt this has any bearing but if other users with this same problem have the same configuration, then maybe it is somehow a factor.

If there are any logs from my system that would be helpful to diagnose this issue, please let me know and I can submit them. The link below is the clip I mentioned earlier that shows how the installation goes -- had to upload that to one of my own websites since it doesn't look like I can attach it here.

http://www.buffalomode.com/betaclip.mp4

Additional information -- I had forgotten to check your idea about trying to install from recovery. Just tried that now and it looks like my recovery partition is not being updated.

• macOS Utilities = 1.0 (310)
  • Disk Utility = 16.3 (1579.1)
  • installer screen shows macOS Sierra, not macOS High Sierra

Interesting development. I had another system -- MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) -- that I wasn't really doing anything with. So I made a High Sierra beta bootable disk, booted the MBA using that and erased the hard drive. On my first attempt, I tried formatting the drive as APFS -- that didn't go over too well. Installed Office 2016, joined the Mac to our AD domain — seemed okay, but when I rebooted, it locked up halfway through startup. Killed power, tried again, got same result. Killed power, tried booting in safe mode and got a black screen with a "white circle and slash" through it (I assume that means "not bootable"). Not sure what went wrong there. Booted up again using the USB drive -- figured I'd reformat the drive as Mac OS Extended but Disk Utility would only give me APFS as an option -- Mac OS Extended wasn't even on the drop-down list. Tried partitioning but couldn't get the drive formatted successfully.

Shut down, booted up again this time on a macOS 10.12.5 USB drive and was able to use Disk Utility on that system to at least format the internal drive. Shut down, booted up on the beta USB a second time. Began install of beta but this time I left the drive formatted as Mac OS Extended. Doing it this way, I now DO get an option to "Upgrade <your boot drive name> to APFS" which I DID NOT get when I was trying to do the in-place upgrade on my own MacBook Pro. I think this was the checkbox you were looking to have me disable -- in this instance, it is disabled by default.

I've got screenshots documenting all this stuff. Doesn't look like there's any way to post screenshots here though. I wrote a good set of documentation on my efforts to do the in-place upgrade the other day but included a link to a movie stored on my own server (demonstrated the problems with the upgrade process) -- that mesage is still listed as "being moderated" and doesn't appear to be visible to the community at large here. So I'm not going to post pictures here with links to non-Apple sites; otherwise, sounds like people may not see this message.

That is odd.

I tried googling my bootloader: MBP91.00D4.B01

I am not sure but is this newer?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D4.B01

SMC Version (system): 2.2f44

Should have thought to post my specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP112.0138.B17

SMC Version (system): 2.19f12

Interestingly, I looked up Apple's list of EMI and SMC firmware -- for the MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), it lists B16 as the current EFI Boot ROM. If the beta installer is using that criteria to check firmware, it would explain why the B17 firmware is "not verified".

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

Happy to say that an updated installer is now available, and this one worked to upgrade my MacBook. If you want to confirm whether you have the updated installer downloaded, "get info" on the "Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app" file and you should see version 13.0.40. I believe the one I was using last week was 13.0.36.

I got the firmware error too. The simple answer was that I had not actually installed the firmware. I used your steps to get back to square one. This time, when holding down the power button on restart, I waited for the beep, not just the flashing light. I then got the distinctive progress bar that accompanies a firmware upgrade. The installation then proceeded normally. BTW, I did not disable APFS, and it went just fine. This is on a 5,1 Mac Pro with a Crucial SSD installed.

In sum, whereas I had read to wait for the flashing "or" the beep, I would say that "and" is a better word.

Hope this helps.

I got the same error first time. I have a 2011 early MacBook Pro which I modified later with Samsung SSD and 4GB*2 Hynix ram. After getting the error, I restarted my computer, connected the power cord, and re run the installer again. High Sierra installed without any error

I was having the firmware not verified issue too on my Macbook Pro 2012. The HDD was replaced with an SSD. I FINALLY figured out a fix for my problem. I tried PRAM reset, reinstalling from FRESH. Ive tried putting the installer on a flash drive and installing, ive tried reinstalling from Sierra and upgrading. Nothing worked.

[THE FIX] - I pulled the model of my SSD from System information, under Storage - Device Name: MKNSSDCR240GB-7.
I then Googled "MKNSSDCR240GB-7 Firmware" and downloaded the firmware from the manufacturers site. The installer only worked on Windows or Linux, so i either had to plug my ssd into a windows computer via Sata cord, or load up linux on a cd. I actually found a bootable version of Windows 10 PE. Located on this site. You can then use the Windows 7 usb download tool by Microsoft located here to burn the ISO file to a flash drive 8GB or more. (Need windows to do this) You can also use a tool called Rufus. But i found it can sometimes let you down.

You then move your firmware files to a flash drive, turn off your mac, turn it back on while holding the "option" key. Boot to your newly made Windows 10 PE flash drive, then run the firmware upgrader exe file. Then reboot after the firmware is upgraded. Now upgrade to high sierra. Should work.

PS: If you only have MacOS, you can burn on ISO to a flash drive with this method. Be aware though, this method is powerful, and if you stupidly type the wrong disk, you could end up wiping your main drive.

This might work with your MacBook Pro mid 2012. Tried for two days to upgrade and tried all listed helps on here and else where. Non worked for me. What I did was.(only do this if you have backed up all your data and files cus you will loose them with this process) Steps... Turn off your Mac. (After backup) Turn it on while holding down *command and R. Let go when logo appears. Click on disk utility Select the hard drive you have OS installed. Click on verify disk. Also click on repair just to make sure your partition is ok. * make sure you rename the hard drive to its original ,that’s if you have earlier changed . I have ‘untitled ´as the original with My MacBook Pro mid 2012. Now click on erase partition. Close disk utility page. Now click on reinstall OS. This will restore your MacBook to factory. When all is done upgrade to OS high Sierra from App Store . I hope this helps you. Took me two days to figure this out and was about loosing $100 to a tech guy.