77 Replies
      Latest reply: Oct 11, 2017 4:53 AM by kurtbockhorst RSS
      u_v_m Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

macOS 10.13 beta stops installing with error "problem with firmware".

I have MacBookAir 6.2 13" with MBA 61.0099.B22. With 10.12.6 beta is no problem.

• Re: macOS 10.13 beta stops installing with error "problem with firmware"
          kurris-vz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same model MBA (and 10.12.6 beta) and experienced the same problem -- "error verifying firmware".  I have found no solution.

mupuman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I getting the similar firmware error on my Mac Pro (late 2013).

The log states: Reason: Error Doamin=com.apple.osinstall code=512

UserInfo={NSlocalizedDescription="An error occurred while verifying firmware"

I've tried installing multiple times on different media.

1Superman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Welcome to the club.  I have tried with beta 6 & 7 on mac pro 2012 12 proc 64 gb, tons of hard disk.  I dont get an error I do shutdown and hold buttom through flashing light and through long tone and then let it boot.  it takes about 3 times the normal boot.  I am at a disadvantage since I run a Nvidia Quadro K5000 video card so I don't see the boot screen, screen doesn't turn on until just before login screen.  Nvidia list this as a mac card but doesnt put the full boot software to turn on screen right away. Nvidia card has latest trivers and cuda version  Also have tried it letting it boot after the startup light flashes, same result

Regardless the install app reopens and just says firmware must be installed.

Thoughts anyone, I guess If I have to I could put in an old apple card to run one screen

galenzha0 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

same here

deserttech Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same error on my Mac Pro (late 2013).

jagoff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem here, macbook 12 inch early 2015 with macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Beta (16g12b)

¿Any ideas?

Sorry, I cannot report this Bug with the Bug Reporter

same here. also beta2 not installing

ctraq91 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

same problem....2012 macbook pro i7/16gb ram....any fix???

hitechartist Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here...

High Sierra Beta 2 firmware error.

I have Mid 2015 Macbook Pro i7 16gb  480Gb SSD

hitechartist Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Don't know if this will help BUT...

I was trying with no success like the rest of you...

I have the Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 480GB SSD 16Gb Ram i7

So I went last week and bought a New Macbook Air to try to do the beta install of High Sierra.

It worked with no problems at all.

So I thought I'd try and experiment.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner(demo) and cloned the New Macbook Air with High Sierra via USB to and external laptop hard drive.

There were warnings about High Sierra not being supported but it went fine.

I took that drive and put it in my Macbook Pro and booted into that drive to start High Sierra.

No problem with that.

The I used Carbon Copy Cloner again and cloned the High Sierra from the Macbook Air to my Macbook Pro.

A few warnings again from carbon copy cloner but no problems.

Shut it all down and removed the external usb drive.

Rebooted to just the Macbook Pro and Voila!!

I did notice that it took longer than normal after powering on for the Apple to appear. In fact at first I thought it wasn't coming up but it did!

Once it was up, there was a little struggle with Icloud not recgonizing my password.

I did a sign out and saved the icloud data to my drive then signed back in. Once again either I misstyped or it didn't recoginize my password but the second time i typed it , Voila!  it worked.

So I'm taking back the new Macbook Air ... lol

Downloading xcode now... on the Macbook Pro...

We'll see how that goes!

twanbakker Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same issue with Late 2010 MBP and OSX 10.12 beta installing on SSD.

No difference if I install with or without upgrading to APFS.

Same problem with Publik Beta

contactjorge Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

If I may ask, has anyone done any modifications to their hardware?

My MBA 2014 upgraded just fine. My MacBook Pro late 2012 did not and I am curious if its because I made my own fusion setup by moving the original drive to the second bay and adding a non-standard SSD in the original bay.

That is the only thing that I can think of that would be "firmware" related besides the mac. Well that and checking for the original superdrive firmware.

Thoughts?

contactjorge Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I finally got a working solution but it took a lot of time. I will separate my steps with action items that were inconclusive and then the ones that were a bit more conclusive. Everything was done in this order:

Inconclusive:

1) Reboot and reset SMC

2) Reboot and reset PRAM

3) Ran a disk first aid after the installer crashed. It is a newer version you can find form the menu.

4) Downloaded and Reinstalled the "Public Beta Access Utility" dmg from the site.

5) Logged out of the App Store and logged back in.

6) Ran installer and it failed again.

Conclusive:

1) While I was in the Public Beta dmg I verified what it was installing. (you can view this by selecting 'Show Files' after launching the installer)

2) It is installing a file called 'Beta License.lpdf' in ./Library/Documentation/

3) I removed that file and a folder called "Eagle" ./Library/Documentation/Resources

4) I deleted the macOS high Sierra installer form ./Applications

5) I rebooted and ran the 'Public Beta Access Utility' pkg again.

5) I ran the installer utility with APFS checked.

6) The install started then rebooted a couple of times.

7) During one of the reboots the firmware update screen came up! My Firmware was being updated.

8) The installer went further and then gave an unable to install.

9) I chose 'restart' and the MBP immediately went into kernel panic screen.

10) I rebooted once more with command-r and saw it was the High Sierra recovery.

11) I ran Disk Utility first aid once more from recovery. No errors but better safe than sorry.

12) I did not reboot and instead chose to reinstall macOS High Sierra from recovery.

13) I did NOT select the 'APFS' option this time.

14) The install process proceeded and it took a LONG time.

15) Computer rebooted and voila. I am in High Sierra on a non APFS drive. (I have a third party SSD in first bay and original HDD in second bay)

Crazy steps. I have not converted my Fusion drive to APFS yet. I hope this helps.

j

With beta4 still the same problem

BrainStormConcepts Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

MacBook Pro Mid 2012

2.6GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Samsung Pro+ XDXC 64 GB (Failed installation)

Samsung Pro XDXC   64 GB  (Failed Installation)

iPhone 5s: downloaded and installed feedback app from public beta site.

I have attempted installation on 2 known good external XDXC drives with same error message: "Unable To Verify Firmware".

'Please quit the installer and restart the OS...."

If Firmware mapping is required for the beta installation, we should have guidance on what Firmware criterion is expected. Especially since micro memory does not have updates for firmware and drive developer OS testing. I reported/documented suspected Apple Firmware SSD hacking my Apple devices since 2012.

Edit: I have not used an internal drive on any OS in 5 years. Strictly high data rate external micro drives. Installation failure is unexceptable, especially when firmware breach tools are known to exist and in the wild.

DEV Beta 5 still the error "problem with firmware"

clean install or uptate to beta5, not working.

jerl Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

beta 6 did it for me.

removed 'Beta License.lpdf' and "seed license"  in ./Library/Documentation/ before

removed  a folder called "Eagle" ./Library/Documentation/Resources before

did smc/pram-resets before

I give up now, maybe the software will run in a year, maybe the firmware error will be fixed than to

woodmeister Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Having the same issue trying to do a clean install on an external USB3 drive.

It was a version downloaded via the App Store and was on August 14, so

guessing it was Beta 6 (version 13.0.55).

My system is:

Saw none of the aforementioned files that others had mentioned.

Tried a PRAM and SMC reset, with no change in final result.

Tried installing from the installer in macOS Sierra and also created

a standalone USB installer, both with the same result.

The destination drive was reformatted HFS+ from bith Sierra Disk Utility

and from the High Sierra installer disk utility.  Same result.

The sequence of what would happen (which may give some clue):

-Rebooted to external installer

-Loaded the usual box with the different options (Disk Utility, Install OS, etc.)

-Selected the install macOS

-Installer loaded with the usual agreement stuff then destination disk window.

-Selected my external drive as destination.  Odd thing here, there was no option

pertaining to changing file system.

-Went ahead and started the install.

-It did the file copies (noted by disk activity LEDs) then rebooted.

-Then the usual countdown screen came up got down to 21 minutes remaining.

-It then switched to "Install in progress.  Calculating time remaining."  and sat at that

point for a very long time (several minutes).  During that time, there was zero disk activity.

-Then the screen went black.

-Then a new "Apple logo "loader" screen came up.

-Then went black again.

-Then another "loader screen"

-After a short bit went black then popped the window with the "Couldn't verify firmware"

restart yada, yada.

FWIW, this is the firmware info on my iMac:

Boot ROM Version: IM142.0118.B12

SMC Version (system): 2.15f7

Have solved my problem, installation is now successful, have bought an original Apple SSD, only with it, it works, with OWC Aura SSD still firmware error.

Thought perhaps that was my issue as I was trying to install to an SSD in a USB3 enclosure.

Switched to using an HDD, no difference.

Realized I had several devices connected (including a Thunderbolt Display), so unplugged

everything other that the installer drive and the destination drive.  Still no luck.

Seems I simply cannot install on an external drive with my iMac.  However, there must be some clue

in the fact it never prompts me wheter I want to convert to APFS.  No mention of it at all.

Does't work via Thunderbolt interface either.  Something I did check,

according to this list:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

my iMac Boot ROM version shoud be IM141.0118.B12 and as posted

earlier my current version is IM142.0118.B12?  The list was dated May, 2016

but I don't recall doing any firmware updates in the past year, unless it was applied

during Sierra upgrade?

Perhaps the initial tool used when getting High Sierra Beta is not loading or providing

the Boot ROM update?

Any clue what it should be for my iMac to run High Sierra?

FWIW, did a successful clean install into a VMWare Fusion virtual machine.

So, there does not seem to be an issue the instaler.

What is interesting, again, there was no option for enabling or not enabling

setting up as APFS.  The installer went ahead and created the system

as APFS (which a quick glance shows quite a departure from the

traditional HFS+).

It seems to me, at least, the public beta is defaulting to APFS and if a boot

ROM doesn't support it, the installer barfs and does not fall back to HFS+?

If so, how does one update Boot ROM to be APFS compatible, or is that only

for "paying developers"?

Seems almost like a Catch-22 scenario.  You need an updated Boot ROM to install,

but the installer is required to update the Boot ROM????

Well, I give up!!!  Thought maybe a Bootcamp installation may have been

an issue so rmoved it and any possible remnants of its existence.

No Luck, same error!

Bit the bullet and decided to create a partition on my boot drive and do

the installation.

No luck!  Same old same old.

I guess my iMac just does not want to accept the firmware update required

or the installer refuses to install the required firmware update.  Either way

at this point, no beta testing High Sierra for me unless an update comes along

to resolve the issue.  Or perhaps, my iMac is one of those that end up doomed

not to be able to upgrade for wahatever reason.

Will ask a last time, though it seems no one has a solution (or cares), is there

a way to force the firmware update so installation can continue?

BTW, feedback assistant is useless since there is no way of even knowing

it was received or acknowledged.  Sent info about 4 times after various attemps.

gillustration Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same error on 27" iMac (Late 2009)

Welcome to the club.  Seems quite a few are having the issue, but there seems to be

few, if any solutions.

There seems to be an issue where the installer doesn't install the required firmware

update, but the firmware update is required to install High Sierra.

BTW, when you started your installer, were you given any choice to use APFS

or not (some type of check box)?  I never see any, though it is refered to quite often

in the threads.

Razormaid Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same error yesterday on iMac 2011. It says the installation could not be completed AFTER installing the firmware update.  In fact, it made me reformat.  However before reformatting at least it gave me access into the drive when booting from an external drive running my SuperDuper backup of 12.6.x (current version).  I am now trying it on my second iMac 2011 (late edition) and see if the result is better, if not I'll have to SuperDuper that machine as well.

Besides it not installing correctly, the only issue I have woith his kind of mess is it won't let me go in and deauthorize any of my authorized software.  YES I KNOW THIS IS A BETA!  I don't need hindreds of reminders.  My point was that all betas dating back to 4 years ago Ive never had this kind of issue so there has NEVER been a need to "deauthorize" ever in the past.  In fact sometime deauthorizing creates a bigger problem because then it WON'T authorize after an update, so it's best to just run the update 99.9% of the time.  Again, I'm just mentioning this in case someone else has software that needs deauthorizing.  On this beta 7 ya might want to go ahead and do it this time.

Just came up with something interesting. 

I had previously installed High Sierra on a VMWare Fusion (8.5.8) virtual machine

which was successful and created the VM with APFS as its file system.  After all the

aforementioned machinations that I had gone through I thought I would try one more

thing on  a whim.

Took and external drive erased and formated HFS+ journaled as usual.  I then booted up

the VM and downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner.  I then loaded CCC into the virtual machine.

And decided to see what would happen if I cloned the VM to an external drive.  So, I attached the

drive to the VM, opened CCC and proceeded to clone the APFS VM to and HFS+ Journaled drive.

I figured the worse that could happen is I end up with a drive that would need to be reformatted

in order to be used again.

Well the cloning went just fine and I shut down the VM and quit VMWare Fusion.  I then did a

reboot +option key.  I had a volume named HighSierra show up (no apparent Recovery HD

fotr it), so I selected it and proceeded and voila!  My iMac booted to this HFS+ drive in High Sierra.

This does absolutely nothing to resolve the firmware issue I have been having but does get

High Sierra booting on my iMac, albeit with HFS+.  As for testing my installed applications,

will the lack of APFS hade possible problems?

With all that said, there does seem to be a way to get High Sierra running on a Mac with the

"verify firmware" issue, sans APFS.

I would really, really, really like to resolve this firmware not updating issue!!!!

garhams Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Beta 7 has fixed this in my case. I've a MacBook 2010 with a Samsung SSD, and Beta 6 had previously failed to install (I got "An error occurred while verifying firmware", despite getting the reassuring beep and flashing).

Beta 7 install went without error or extra dialogue, and it silently gave me a synthesised disk and APFS container (or something)... and now everything seems to work fine.

The recovery partition no longer shows up if I boot with the alt key down, but it's still there and works with the usual cmd-r boot option.

Bootcamp survived and works as before.

I can try to remember more details if anyone's any questions :-/

technosis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Data Point:  If you have a Large drive and there is more than 1TB free the installer incorrectly thinks you are low on disk-space and installs with the "thin" installer. If you fill up the drive with an empty dmg files to get below 1TB free; you'll get the thick installer (which you can make a boot usb installer from).  The thin will give you the firmware error in all my testing. The Thick one if you make a boot usb, then will get past that and install on the OWC Aura, but you still won't be able to use it because after the install subsequent boots the mac can't see Aura and you have to reformat and reinstall from scratch.

Well beta 8 is same old same old firmware error!!!!!

Tried the install and got same issue.

Created a clone of Beta7 from another Mac in HFS+ format

(APFS won't boot).  iMac booted and ran it just fine.  Then the

MacApp Store notified me og=f the update to Beta8.  Guess what?

Got and erro message saying it could not complete update and

left current install untouched!  More firmware crap!

Does anyone in the world have any clue (or even care) on how to resolve

this issue or even determine why it is happening?

Beta 9 still no solution to firmware issue.  Will it ever be fixed?

Does anyone even care?

adrianfromverden Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I have an iMac 27 "Mid 2010 and have tried to run High Siera GM as an update.

From the ia.log:

Sep 16 14:17:25 iMac OSInstaller[546]: System is a valid target.

Sep 16 14:17:25 iMac OSInstaller[546]: Evaluating SKDisk { BSD Name: disk19 Mount point: /private/var/tmp/InstallerCookies Role: kSKDiskRoleLegacyMacData Type: kSKDiskTypeHFS }

Sep 16 14:17:25 iMac OSInstaller[546]: untitled is a valid target.

Sep 16 14:17:26 iMac OSInstaller[546]: Package Authoring Error: PackageInfo bundle reference found without top-level bundle definition. Bundle will be skipped: <bundle id="*"></bundle>

Sep 16 14:17:26 iMac OSInstaller[546]: ROM Features returned: 3221263395

Sep 16 14:17:26 iMac OSInstaller[546]: ROM does not support APFS

Sep 16 14:17:26 iMac OSInstaller[546]: Clearing automation and attempting to rebless. source volume: SKDisk { BSD Name: disk0s2 Mount point: /Volumes/System Role: kSKDiskRoleLegacyMacSystem Type: kSKDiskTypeHFS } rebless: 7D650198-7A61-3AC1-BB5A-A043423FFCEC

Sep 16 14:17:26 iMac OSInstaller[546]: OSIInstallElement <OSIVerifyROMElement: 0x7f95f8c85a30> errored out:Error Domain=com.apple.osinstall Code=512 "Beim Überprüfen der Firmware ist ein Fehler aufgetreten." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Beim Überprüfen der Firmware ist ein Fehler aufgetreten.}

Sep 16 14:17:26 iMac storagekitd[547]: storagekitd: copyDiskForPath returned nil, error: -69808

technosis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ok I did work around this error but it was a PITA.

Like many others I have one system with an OWC Aura upgrade and the install was failing with the firmware error. All other systems worked fine. Since it failed with the GM candidate I rolled up my sleaves here is the awful solution:"

1. Time machine backup Sierra install on the OWC 2 TB SSD
                                                                                2. Open Mac Pro and remove OWC SSD and reinstall Factory SSD
                                                                                3. Internet recovery boot CMD+R
                                                                                4. Factory reset install of Yosemite on to the Facotry SSD
                                                                                5. Do minimual user setup; and login into developer account and download the Beta Activator
                                                                                6. Install High Sierra over the top of Yosemite; works perfect and firmware upgraded finally
                                                                                7. After upgrade shutdown mac remove factory ssd and put in external enclosure; reinstall OWC Aura
                                                                                8. Boot from the External Drive (containing factory ssd)
                                                                                9. Erase all partitions on the OWC
                                                                                10. Create a APFS case-insensitive volume on the Aura; and mount
                                                                                11. Get the beta enable and run again.
                                                                                12. Target the Install at the OWC Aura
                                                                                13. High Sierra installs find now because the firmware upgrade is already on the hardware
                                                                                14. Restore from Timemachine back (Don't bring over Other or System Settings)
                                                                                15. Restore Crash/boots at the very end and boots into the Factory SSD
                                                                                16. Manually Reboot and the system comes up as expected on the OWC Aura
                                                                                17. Begin triage and clean up of the restore (including toggling (if usising) cloud keychain on and off to clear the upgrade corruption problem)

So it looks like what is need is a standalone version of the EFI firmware updating that isn't rolled in the Installer and that is compatible with the OWC drives if they are installed.

NOTE: Note removing the OWC Drive completely and attempting the same process failed every time; the drive had to be removed completely from the equation.

Hope this helps someone else. If you don't have the factory drive I think will will work from any external drive as long as the OWC Aura is pull from the computer until step 7

iTen Level 2 Level 2 (70 points)

Did the same thing here as well for my OWC 4TB, since Apple seems to have excluded third party drives from the install, factory SDD, receieve the firmware upgrade, re-insert OWC 4TB, and resume with running the installer ...

w3woody Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a Mac Pro (2013) with an OWC Aura 4TB SSD drive, and had similar problems with upgrading. It appeared that during the installation process, the computer would hit a point (I guess where it was trying to install the firmware upgrade), and would reboot about a dozen times before giving up.

I did manage to successfully install High Sierra by doing the following:

1. Create a bootable USB flash drive (I used a separate 16gb flash drive) with High Sierra on it.

2. Uninstall the OWC Aura 4TB SSD drive. Reinstall the old (in my case, 1TB) flash drive that came out of the Mac Pro.

3. Erase and reformat the 1TB flash drive using Mac OS Extended (Journaled). (This seemed to be a key point; originally I formatted as an APFS, but the installer failed. Reformatting as an Mac OS Extended (Journal) drive did the trick. Note that I had to reformat my old 1TB flash drive because I had been using it as a Time Machine backup drive.)
                                                                                      4. Do a fresh Mac OS High Sierra install on the 1TB flash drive.
                                                                                      5. Once complete, shut down, swap the 1TB flash with the OWC Aura 4TB SSD drive, boot from the flash drive and run install.

After following these steps, I now have MacOS High Sierra running on my system, and I didn't have to reformat or reload my data from my Time Machine backup.

Note that after doing this, I'm still running the MacOS Extended (Journaled) formatted drive on my OWC Aura, rather than APFS. I'm going to wait until another complete backup is performed before I attempt to conver the drive to APFS. (Or maybe I won't; I'm a little nervous given the other comments here.)

Jonathan Ansell Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I’be just encountered this error when trying to update my MacBook Pro to the GM seed. Anyone actually find an solution?

SilentLexx Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Have this error on MBP 13 2015  with original Apple SSD. Try to update from 10.12.6 with no luck. Log:

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[547]: ROM Features returned: 4228117814

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[547]: ROM does not support APFS

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[547]: Clearing automation and attempting to rebless. source volume: SKDisk { BSD Name: disk0s2 Mount point: /Volumes/Macintosh HD Role: kSKDiskRoleLegacyMacSystem Type: kSKDiskTypeHFS } rebless: 46CC9562-A01E-3E91-8A8B-BDD957042114

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[547]: OSIInstallElement <OSIVerifyROMElement: 0x7fbcb3f60ed0> errored out:Error Domain=com.apple.osinstall Code=512 "При проверке прошивки произошла ошибка." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=При проверке прошивки произошла ошибка.}

Sep 26 06:16:18 MacBook-Pro storagekitd[548]: storagekitd: copyDiskForPath returned nil, error: -69808

decades software Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hurray, so now I'm also a member of this (not so exclusive) club? For the first time after starting with Leopard?

Wow... Long disgusting beep on restart and then "error while verifying firmware". This is a Mid 2010 iMac. AFAIK it should be possible to install. And I installed the app store version....

drfoster54 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hardware:  MacbookAir6,1 with an Aura 1TB SSD upgrde

OS:  Fully patched Sierra 10.12.6

highSierra upgrade:  Fails with firmware check

I talked to OWS support and their suggestion as to what’s worked for some is to replace the Aura with the original Apple SSD, upgrade that, swap SSDs back to the Aura and then you should be able to upgrade it.  The OWS tech said that the upgrade on the Apple SSD would upgrade the EFI so it would then work with the Aura.

I still have my Apple SSD with Sierra on it.  I’m going to try this path tomorrow.

Smallcastler Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Had this error with the new release of High Sierra.

Solution was to restart in Safe Mode (hold shift while restarting) and then starting the update. No problem with new file system - on system drive Apple_APFS was installed whereas and Bootcamp NTFS file system as well as on the Optibay ExFAT were kept intact.

High Sierra works fine so far (48hrs)

MBP mid 2010 with Samsung SSD and Optibay (Kingston SSD).

corporate_gadfly Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Huge thanks. This helped me.

Background: MacbookPro8,3 17-inch Late 2011 with OWC SSD and data-doubler (no optical drive - original HDD moved to SuperDrive spot).

Unsuccessful try: Used USB installer but eventually got "problem with firmware". After 2 or three tries, restored back to Sierra from Time Machine Backup

Successful try:

1. Downloaded High Sierra again onto hard drive (even though I already had USB with High Sierra).
                                                                                                  2. Rebooted into Safe Mode
                                                                                                  3. Launched "Install High Sierra" application while in safe boot mode.
                                                                                                  4. Install went without any hitch.

Hope that helps.

obiwon Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This approach worked for me as well.  Thanks!

Background: MacbookPro 6,2 15-inch mid 2010 with aftermarket Samsung 850 EVO SSD.  After downloading High Sierra from Mac App Store, tried several times to upgrade but each time received an unable to verify firmware during the installation process.  Verified that firmware was up to date and started researching options.

Successful try:

1. Rebooted into Safe Mode
                                                                                                    2. Launched "Install High Sierra" application while in safe boot mode.
                                                                                                    3. Install wtook approximately 1 hour, rebooted several times during the process but upgraded without any apparent issues.
                                                                                                    4. Verified via About This Mac that the file system was updated to APFS
                                                                                                    Brayden99 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Did anyone post to bug reporter to see if they know about this

Little Green Viper Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

OK. I just installed the 10.13.1 beta, and it installed fine, even though the official release of the 10.13 OS fails with the "firmware" issue.

I think I know what's happening.

Apple added an "anti-hackintosh" measure to the RC and release builds of 10.13. It must have not been in the betas (probably because they didn't want to tip their hand).

I have a first-gen MacBookPro TouchBar 15".

The anti-hackintosh measure sniffs firmware, and will put up alerts if it sees what it considers "bad" firmware.

I suspect that it didn't whitelist the ASICs that Apple used for some of its computers. I think they source the chips from a lot of places.

radPhil Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

How did you download the 10.13.1 beta?

Neither the DeveloperBetaAccessUtility nor the PublicBetaAccessUtility shows me the 10.13.1 beta.
                                                                                                            It just opens the empty Updates Section in App Store.

I'm on latest Sierra btw.

Well, first, I'm a paid registered Apple developer. If you are this (you can get this, I think, without the $99/year, but not sure about what it allows for downloads).

That allows me to see the downloads for prerelease in the "Downloads" section of the dev site. Developers will see these betas before John Q. Public.

However, since I had already downloaded the pre-10.13 beta, I was automatically informed of the new beta in the App Store (the mechanism is that the beta page downloads a certificate that unlocks a capability of the app store).

I was NOT on the latest Sierra because the installer no like my firmware. I was actually on the last beta.

radPhil Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes, I'm a registered Dev. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to download the DeveloperBetaAccessUtility

After the Access Utility finishes the installation it opens the "Updates" Section in the App Store. But there are no Updates available.

So you had already installed a 10.13 beta?

I tried to install every single beta AND of course the stable version of 10.13 but it always ended in the firmware error.

Hmmm... So you’re a paid developer, and can’t get this?

That’s weird. My account is an organizational one, but that should make no difference, here.

I Just went to my downloads page, and it’s there: Mac OS 10.13.1 beta.

I was able to install all my betas without the firmware issue. It started with RC1.

That’s what makes me think it’s the “hackintosh killer” code.

On another note, I had a post rejected by the mods, in which I pasted a chat transcript with Apple Support, in which the rep. insisted that my problem was that I had a fusion drive.

On a MacBook Pro TouchBar 15 inch.

Yeah, that was a bit embarassing. I can understand why they nuked the post.

dirk_aerospace Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had the same problem when trying to update from 10.12.6, throwing me the 'error while verifying firmware'. I tried numerous methods that were posted on this forum as well as elsewhere online, but all with no luck. My set-up is a Macbook Pro 13' inch mid-2012 where I've replaced the CD/DVD bay with an SSD (EVO 840) as primary start-up disk. Last year the SATA cable connecting the motherboard and the HD became faulty so I decided to use the HD as an external HD using an USB connector, leaving the original HD bay empty. Using this set-up I was not able to install High Sierra.

However, today I replaced the broken SATA cable and placed my orignal HD back into the HD bay. The SSD still functions as primary start up disk. Using this set-up (primary SSD in CD/DVD bay, secondary HD in original HD bay) I am able to install High Sierra.

Hopefully this helps someone. I am not sure what the problem was exactly, but it obviously had something to do with an empty HD bay and/or a faulty SATA cable.

Regards,

Dirk