Auto Unlock with Apple Watch

In Beta 2 of Sierra combined with an Apple Watch (watch OS 3 Beta 2) its now possible to aktivate Auto Unlock. I've tried to activate the Checkbox on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and a Error says, that the Mac couldnt find the Apple Watch. The Watch is on, unlocked and on my wrist. After reboot from Mac and Apple Watch, the option to enable Auto Unlock is not shown anymore.

Any ideas about?

Here are the specs for the "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)"

http://apple.co/2bq5ORb

It sure doesn't seem like anything stands in the way... In fact, my Apple Watch shows up as paired to my Mac now after using "Near Lock". Using MacID now nicely to already unlock my Mac. As long as Apple doesn't disable either MacID or Near Lock, wondering if I care about the macOS version of this feature...

It would be nice to get it working and see the differnce between Apple's integration and the commerical products...

Is your wifi adapter still active? Even though you're connecting to Ethernet, if the wifi is active and connected to a network does unlocking work or not?

You could just make the Ethernet first in the order of devices, so it'll always use it as the default when active, but still have the wifi active, just not primary.

I have iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) running 10.12 Beta (16A313a)

Apple Watch is running watchOS 3.0 Beta 6

I am able to pair but i am unable to unlock... all I get is that "unlocking with Apple Watch" and then it times out and reverts back to the Password box.

getting frustrated....

****UPDATE*****

Okay after a lot of messing around by removing two-factor, re-implementing two-factor, removing passcode from watch then putting it back on, rebooting watch, iMac & iPhone 6s then reimplementing unlock with watch feature multiple times some how with all of that it now works,

So for you guys and girls out there having this issue maybe give this a go.

Best of luck.

For those that can't see the unlock with Apple watch setting in the Settings & Privacy menu, make you that you are logged into your iCloud account on your watch.

On your iPhone, open the companion Watch app, tap My Watch → General → Apple ID and verify your Apple ID is showing.

The same thing happend on my Late 2013 Macbook pro 13', I had to unpair it and the I repaired it again, after that the the check box option was there

I am having Macbook Pro Late 2012, and same thing happening with me.

I am not able to see the option in Security section.

What is the minimum requirement for this feature to work?

Minimum is MacBook Pro mid 2013. You can get the feature if you upgrade your wi-if card

Upgraded my MacBook Pro early 2013 to an 802.11ac wifi and it works great. Bought the card from e-bay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/261733200989

I have the same issue (MBPr Early 2013) issue is we only have a Wifi n module. Apple Watch "time of flight" connectivity only communicates with AC Wifi devices from Mid 2013 onwards. Hardware's insufficient for us lot unfortunately.

Same here.

Same here. The setting doesn't show up.

If you type "watch" in the search bar in System Preferences, you can see that the only result mentions "Setting is hidden if watch not paired".

I'm guessing the problem lies with iCloud detecting the paired watch, so I'm going to start by debugging that (unpairing and repairing etc).

Right after I changed my Apple ID Password the previously working Apple Watch Auto Unlock feature did not work and unckecking and re-checking the 'Allow Apple Watch to Unlock you Mac' checkbox in System Preferences/Privacy Settings relulted in an intermidably spinning animation until a dialog finally said the Mac could not communicate with the Watch. The cure was to unpair the Watch and re-pair it, setting it up as a new watch; setting it up from a backup did not work.

I don't know if this situation relates to the reason(s) for similar situations above but the method may be worth a try.

I'm looking to buy a usb wifi adapter to check if I can get auto-unlock to work that way, have the MBP early 2013.

Getting the "edimax EW-7711MAC" usb wifi adapter, but on their website driver download doesn't mention support for 10.12

@fischersd let me know what usb wifi adapter you used, and any luck at all!!!

So you can't even switch the 802.11n with an 802.11ac?

Seems to be a lot of issues with no real solutions on this yes...

I have MacBook Pro Late-2013

Sierra 10.12

iPhone 6S (trusted Device) iOS 10.0.2

Watch Original with OS3

I have the options but on verifying the MacBook it says "Error verifying iPhone passcode"

Near Lock was working great until Sierra (They could not fix it with an update yet...)

I'm very confused here. All requirements here are ok but can't turn on auto unlock since the box isn't even there. Handoff ok, wifi ok, 2FP ok in all devices (applewatch series 2, McbookPro early 2015, Iphone 6 ), all systems up to date, tried sign in and out Icloud account with them all. Strangely at WIFI information screen there's no support to auto unlock. Mcbook is brand new, less than 30 days of use. Any further ideas? Thnx!

You have WiFi AND Bluetooth turned ON... have you?

Apple now states this is only supported on Late 2013 or newer Macbooks, excluding the Early 2013 models. Some have reported success by replacing the wifi carrd with a newer type, but have exprienced other issues as a result.

Auto Unlock with Apple Watch

Q