Media Keys Do Not Work For iTunes

Since updating to the High Sierra beta, the media keys (skip backward, play/pause, skip forward) do not seem to be working with iTunes anymore. They do however work in Safari to control the playing and pausing of video content (e.g. YouTube).

iTunes Version: 12.6.2.20

macOS: 10.13 Beta (17A358a)

Any ideas would be helpful!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of bsmbsmbsm Down vote post of bsmbsmbsm
108k views
  • I'm having the same problem, too frustrating.

• This is a great solution in October 2022

Add a Comment

Replies

I found the following third party, no longer supported app has done the trick and gave control back to iTunes. Was driving me bezoomny.
macmediakeyforwarder
The media keys seem to be bound to the last application that was playing something. So clicking Play in iTunes will automatically bind them to iTunes again.

I feel there should be an option to manually bind the keys to one specific application.
This problem still exists on macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 with Apple Music 1.1.4.110. The keys for play/pause, next and previous track work fine in Spotify and Pocket Casts for example, but don't work in Apple Music. Does anyone know what can cause this problem with media keys?

UPD. I've tried MacMediaKeyForwarder but it wasn't working for the first try for some reason (was “not responding” in Activity Monitor). I deleted it and then installed again, and it started working. So, it actually helps solving the problem with media keys.

I've just started having a similar problem since I updated to 11.5.1 I think it is has something to do with Apple Music not registering as a media source. The little media icon that appears in the menu bar does not show for the Apple Music app, but does for other media such as you tube in a browser and Spotify. I looked around in the preferences and there is nothing there. Very clueless about how to fix on my end :/

Having the same issue here. This has been intermittently occurring for the last year and a half, and drives me absolutely nuts. When the play/fwd/rev buttons stop working, it defaults to the space bar to play/stop. It's silly how this is a massive bother to me, but what am I supposed to expect after spending thousands of dollars for a beautiful MBP??? I certainly would expect a software bug fix within a month or two, which is entirely reasonable!

Okay, this is going to sound crazy but here goes.

I have had this issue for months. It didn't appear after any specific updates, I don't have any chrome extensions (the most common explanation), and I have been unable to fix the issue after numerous restarts, resets, re installs etc etc etc.

I just gave up and said to myself, hmm. I wonder if there is a way to check whether this very specific set of keys somehow broke all at the same time. I googled "keyboard key tester" and clicked the first link. My skip and pause keys IMMEDIATELY came back online. I can't believe it. After so so much playing around, this fixed it.

I'm posting this here to hopefully help someone, and would also be incredibly curious if it works for anyone else.

This is the link I used: https://en.key-test.ru

• THIS! This worked perfectly fine. I was starting to get annoyed because couldn't find any solutions online but I tried the Key tester and it worked. Curious to say the least. Thank you so much.

Add a Comment