application can't upgrade when NEFilterDataProvider is running

Hi. I have an Application including NEFilterDataProvider running for web filtering and NEFilterDataProvider is an extension.

What I noticed that Applicaiton can't finish upgrading if NEFilterDataProvider extension is running. It just stays loading.

I have tested upgrading via TestFilght, but still Application can't finish upgrading.

However, if NEFilterDataProvider is killed or not running, Application can finish upgrading successfully.

Do you have any idea why Application keeps loading and can't finish upgrading while running NEFilterDataProvider extension ?

Replies

This sounds very reminiscent of a problem we encountered during the early iOS 10 cycle. See this thread for details. If the problems you’re seeing are on 10.2 or later, you should definitely file a bug that includes all the details of your current tests.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

ps Be aware that I don’t normally read this area of DevForums so I won’t see your follow-ups.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
FYI: This problem is still happening painfully intermittently as of iOS 14.1.

We are about to abandon our implementation of NEFilterDataProvider as a result and see alternative options as it bricks our customers' devices when it occurs (until they Cancel Download of our parent app).

Feedback ID FB8070710 filed back in July and there has been no response from engineering.

It does beg the question: is anyone using NEFilterDataProvider in production? I've found quite a few bugs and I can't seem to find anyone reporting them, let alone claiming to be using Content Filter Plugins on iOS...