App Version Number automatically updated incorrectly while "Waiting for Review"

We submitted our app last night for review with version number 7.22.1 (binary has MARKETING_VERSION = 7.22.1).

While in the review queue, we continued development on a feature for the next release (7.22.2). We then finished development of the feature, and uploaded the build to App Store Connect so we could send it via test flight to our QA team. (using fastlane deliver code snippet below)

This appears to have automatically updated the version number of the app in status "Waiting for Review" to 7.22.2, although the build associated appears to still be the binary with MARKETING_VERSION = 7.22.1.

As of this morning the app was reviewed and approved with binary of 7.22.1 but the app store connect version number says 7.22.2.

Apple Support wasn't that helpful, they didn't seem to grasp the exact sequence of events. They also told me I had no choice but to release 7.22.2 as the version code. Thankfully they were incorrect, we were able to cancel the release, decrement the version down to 7.22.1 again, and resubmit for review.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it to be expected that an app version currently in review would automatically have its version number changed if a separate build is uploaded to App Store Connect?

Below are the automated emails from App Store Connect which highlight the issue we observed:

8:06 PM

The status of your app has changed to Waiting for Review.
App Version Number: 7.22.1

1:54 AM

The following build has completed processing:
Platform: iOS
Build Number: 4
Version Number: 7.22.2

3:39 AM

The status of your app has changed to In Review.
App Version Number: 7.22.2

6:23 AM

The status of your app has changed to Pending Developer Release.
App Version Number: 7.22.2

Fastlane Deliver code snippet:

deliver(
      api_key: api_key,
      skip_screenshots: true,
      skip_metadata: true,
      ignore_language_directory_validation: true,
      precheck_include_in_app_purchases: false,
      submit_for_review: false,
      force: true
    )

If I remember well, I once had the same behaviour, with automatic version number increase.

But what was the point to go to 7.22.2 ?

App Version Number automatically updated incorrectly while "Waiting for Review"

Q