xcode 15 Beta 5 iOS Simulators... Springboard Crash & High CPU

After installing Xcode 15 Beta 5 + iOS Simulators I'm experiencing Springboard crashes when launching the simulator and SimRenderServer is sat at 99.9% CPU.

I'm on a 16" 2019 Intel MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.5 & xcode 15 beta 5 (15A5209g)

All other beta's have been fine so far. Any one else experiencing this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of andy_nash Down vote post of andy_nash
8.1k views

Replies

me too , simulators are pretty much unusable on my intel mac, i would submit a feedback, i did as well about the transparency issue.

• Same situation here with beta 6, unusable on both intel iMac and MacBook Pro

Add a Comment

If you change the GPU Selection to use "Prefer Integrated GPU" it solved both issues.

• unfortunatly that didnt work for me (im on an intel iMac), but thank you for the recommendation!

• This works for me. I have a Mac M1 pro and Xcode 15 with Simulator v17 Thanks ;)

• This works for me. I have a Mac M1 pro and Xcode 15 with Simulator v17. Thanks ;)

I'm having similar issues with XCode 15 beta 5 and CPU usage while running simulators. For me, diagnosticd is the prime culprit, every time a simulator (preview) updates, or I open a new one. It does tend to quiet down after a while, but it pegs my CPU pretty badly for a good minute or two.

I'm on a 2018 13 inch Macbook Pro, 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. Running an iPhone 14 (iOS17) simulator.

I've uninstalled other versions of XCode, and uninstalled and reinstalled XCode 15 beta 5.

Console doesn't give me any clear picture. Probably unrelated, but I do see a number of consecutive crashes for "AegirPoster" (identifier "com.apple.NanoUniverse.AegirProxyApp.AegirPoster") with responsible process "SimulatorTrampoline".

Posting in case others have similar symptoms.

Also seeing a similar issue. Noticed my MacBook Pro M1 (2020) was getting ridiculously hot, saw one SpringBoard process and two diagnosticsd processes each taking between 70%-103%. I'm running macOS 14.0 Beta (23A5301h) and Xcode Version 15.0 beta 5 (15A5209g), and had the Simulator open.

Console shows a near constant spamming of the following messages from SpringBoard:

default	12:42:48.635344-0500	SpringBoard	[0x1363526c0] invalidated on xpc_connection_cancel()
default	12:42:48.635365-0500	SpringBoard	[0x1363526c0] activating connection: mach=false listener=false peer=true name=com.apple.systemstatus.peer.0x1363526c0

Closing my Simulator was the only thing that got it chill out.

Also having performance issues and SpringBoard errors with simulators. I've reinstalled Xcode 15 beta 5 after removing Developer folder content in system and user libraries to try to workaround those issues, but that didn't help. Besides what has been said in this thread, I did noticed iOS SDK is not properly registered in Xcode ever. SDK version remains 21A5291f and is not updated with 21A5291g for the latest SDK. I'm attaching a screenshot with that particular issue.

• The differences between build numbers in the screenshot are okay. Checking version info (secondary mouse click) over the ios beta 4 platform provided the following information: iOS 17.0 beta 4 (21A5291f) SDK + iOS 17.0 beta 4 (21A5291g) Simulator (Installed), which clarifies the difference. So there was no issue with that. My apologizes for the confusion.

Add a Comment

Xcode 15 Beta 6 seems to improve some of these issues. Previews and simulators are still slow but I have not seen springboard crashes in this Xcode release so far.

I'm seeing similar issues with beta 4, 5 and 6 now with symptoms similar to @jtfrench.

I've taken a sample of SpringBoard and it always seems to be consuming all of the CPU in STStatusDomainXPCClientHandle, trying to do something with simulator entitlements.

xcode 15 Beta 6 iOS Simulators practically unresponsive. Tried on both iMac and MacBook Pro. Not viable to work with.

Xcode Version 15.0 beta 7 (15A5229h) has the same problem.

It's burning my legs!

• I have exactly the same issue as you, with the same high cpu process. But seams to find something working in my side when I've done the following :

Start by uninstalling all of your Xcode versionsGo to Settings -> General -> StorageClick on the '[ i ]' Info of the 'Developer' sectionDelete the 'Xcode caches' & 'Project build Data & Indexes'Reinstall Xcode 15 beta 7

After that, My Mac stop burned my legs. Hope it could help you. At least give a try.

Add a Comment

I've got the same Console infinite spam from SpringBoard:

default	12:42:48.635344-0500	SpringBoard	[0x1363526c0] invalidated on xpc_connection_cancel()
default	12:42:48.635365-0500	SpringBoard	[0x1363526c0] activating connection: mach=false listener=false peer=true name=com.apple.systemstatus.peer.0x1363526c0

Switching the simulator to "Prefer Integrated GPU" fixed that.

My machine is MBP 14" M2 16GB

• up:

I fixed that by renaming the Xcode folders:

I had 2 Xcodes installed at the following paths:

/Applications/Xcode.app (Xcode 14 on macOS Sonoma)./Applications/Xcode-beta.app (Xcode 15)

Xcode 14 is not launching on Sonoma, so I removed it and renamed Xcode-beta.app -> Xcode.app

Add a Comment

To me, simulator performance improved so much after removing all content on /Library/Developer and /Users/<user>/Library/Developer folders. It seems like there were remaining files on those folders interfering between the latest xcode beta version.

Currently, I see many of the following simulator log errors, but don't seem to cause major performance issues.

21:41:37.870260+0200 apsd <APSUserCourier 0x10e506160 development 0> invalid presence without server timestamp. Rolling token... 21:41:37.977540+0200 familycircled Connection for <APSConnection: 0x600003b0c2a0> differs from current queue!!

Adding a launch argument "-OS_ACTIVITY_MODE disable" has fixed the high cpu usage in my case.

• Worked like a charm! Does anyone know if Apple is aware of this issue and will be fixed in next releases? I haven't been able use Xcode since beta 1 because of this issues

• As far as I can see, it does not work anymore in Xcode 15 RC 🙁

• For me, none of the workarounds above work in Xcode 15 RC either... Simulators have been damned slow in each beta, but at least some workarounds made them run smoother.

Add a Comment

This issue seems to go away on my M1 Mac (Xcode Release Candidate) by running the following command:

/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy /Applications/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/Library/Wallpaper/Collections/Collections.plist -c "add order array" -c "add order: string 23EC2CF1-0188-49FC-B214-EC1AB37FE5C4"

This command was taken from a blog post regarding a similar issue regarding the iOS 16 simulator.

• Command fails with "File Doesn't Exist, Will Create:…". It happens even after adjusting command with right Xcode RC location on my machine. After inspecting Xcode package, found there is no "Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime …" path within the package. I wonder it's also related to a verifying 'ios 17.0.simruntime" message that takes long time to dismiss when installing Xcode ios 17.0 platform (actually it happens for other platforms as well). My mac is an Intel one.

• Boy oh boy! Yes, it helps! I (we) love you, riccardo_p!

Add a Comment

The issue is still present in the GM Release of Xcode 15. (This is my shocked face.) It manifests for me anytime I run a playground.

@zettlunic - do you know what "-OS_ACTIVITY_MODE disable" does, precisely?

@riccardo_p - do you have a link or a description of what, exactly, we're adding there?

I'm a little hesitant to use these fixes without a better understanding of exactly what the changes are doing. Thanks!

I am seeing a similar issue on my MacBook Pro 2020 (M1), with macOS 13.5.2, Xcode 15 GM, iOS 17.0 simulator. It goes away temporarily after running killall Simulator, but it keeps coming back. Looking at my top processes by CPU usage in Activity Monitor, I see:

diagnosticd - 87.5% - 2:08.25 SpringBoard - 85.6% - 7:27.90 diagnosticd - 67.5% - 6:36.72 UnityPosterExtension - 20.2% - 1:40.86 PhotosPosterProvider - 19.7% - 1:38.08 ExtragalacticPoster - 19.7% - 1:37.34 CollectionsPoster - 19.5% - 1:40.69

• Same here. MacBook Pro 2020 (M1), with macOS 14.0, Xcode 15.0, iOS 17.0

• I have the same issue with MacBook Air M1, macOS 14.0, Xcode 15.0, iOS 17.0 simulators.

• Simulators just don't seem to catch a break with the latest Xcode versions. You'd think they'd get better, but nope – they're still painfully slow in all versions. And to top it off, errors decide to pop up several minutes after you've clicked or tapped on something. It's got me wondering if there's some funky systemic issue with Apple's platforms and their asynchronous nature. Overall, I'm not sold on Apple's platforms being the go-to choice for smooth and stress-free software development.

Add a Comment