Xcode 15 beta 2: can't install iOS 17.0 beta 2 or visionOS 1.0

Using Safari on macOS 13.4.1, installing Xcode 15 beta 2 is problematic.

First time it downloaded Xcode & iOS 17 and the small metadata file. When I extracted the .xip file and started Xcode for the first time, it prompted me to install iOS 17 beta, but it was downloading it again so I cancelled: I couldn't get it to 'see' the already-downloaded iOS 17 DMG file (although I did mount the DMG file at first, not sure if that makes a difference).

I eventually gave up and let it try re-downloading iOS 17. Then, it downloads the entire thing successfully, starts working on it, and then dumps out this error message:

Registering simulator runtime with CoreSimulator failed.
Domain: DVTDownloadableErrorDomain
Code: 29
User Info: {
    DVTErrorCreationDateKey = "2023-06-22 03:32:23 +0000";
}
--
The service used to manage runtime disk images (simdiskimaged) crashed or is not responding
Domain: com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimError
Code: 410
--
System Information

macOS Version 13.4.1 (Build 22F82)
Xcode 15.0 (22181.22) (Build 15A5161b)
Timestamp: 2023-06-21T22:32:23-05:00

No other beta SDK would install, either. Eventually I went into Xcode Settings and under the Locations tab I changed Command Line Tools to Xcode 15 beta, and under the Platforms tab I deleted the first Xcode 15 beta's iOS 17 & watchOS 17 Simulators.

Then I was running out of disk space because the failed downloads don't get deleted (where are they?) until you reboot your Mac. So I rebooted my Mac and went through these steps again.

I managed to get watchOS 10 and tvOS 17 to download, but not iOS 17 or visionOS 1.0. Thanks

EDIT:

Perhaps I should mention that the Platforms tab of Xcode 15 beta 2 shows the last non-beta Simulator versions of OSes that Xcode 14.x is using (tvOS 16.4, watchOS 9.4), but doesn't show iOS 16.4 (but maybe because it's built in to Xcode 14?). Is that a clue?

• Same problem here.

• Same here... rebooted, redownloaded.... can't get visionOS to work in the simulator.

Even when downloaded separately from developer site and manually copied to the Runtimes folder... still no joy.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

What I think worked:

Followed JoryDeKort's list of 11 steps, above.

I noticed in Activity Monitor that there was still a process with "simulator" in the name, so I thought "let's shut the whole thing down and try again after a fresh reboot".

So I rebooted, then (without opening Xcode), ran "update_dyld_sim_shared_cache" again, got the warning, hit Show In Finder.

Then I opened Xcode 15 beta 2, got the warning again, hit Cancel, and continued getting a series of prompts and I just kept slamming the Cancel button ... and ... voilà, eventually Xcode stopped showing the dialog prompt, the SBOD (spinning beachball of death/mouse activity indicator) spun around for many seconds as I held my breath (I'm sure that was an important step!) and then ... Xcode just opened my project!

I looked in Xcode Settings->Platforms and iOS 17 beta no longer had a Get button, and looked installed.

I changed the Run Destination in Xcode to iPhone 14 Pro (previously, of course, no iOS 17 destinations showed up there, so I was very hopeful), I hit Run, and my app magically appeared in an iOS 17 simulator!!

Hurray! Thank you Jory!

• Got visionOS to work using the same steps

• Glad attempt 901 did it ;) Feels very intuitive....

• Rebooting is the necessary step! Thanks a lot !

Add a Comment

Replies

Ok I got it finally working.

1. Download the visionOS pkg from the developer site
  2. Stop Xcode 15 Beta 2
  3. Open the PKG and open the folders until you get the xrOS 1.0.simruntime file
  4. Navigate to the same folder /Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes
  5. Copy the file to the local folder
  6. Start Xcode 15 Beta 2
  7. A progress will show that it verifies that package
  8. In my case it gave an error that it could not verify the developer (hopefully you are lucky and it's done here)
  9. Go the the file in /Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes open the package (right click / show package content) and run the file "update_dyld_sim_shared_cache" it allows you to click open if you right click the file and than select open
  10. Start Xcode 15 Beta 2
  11. It's working.... well it did for me.

Hope this helps...?

• Thanks! When I try this for iOS 7 simulator (I haven't tried it for visionOS yet), I got all through your steps, except whenever I re-open Xcode beta, I get a never-ending prompts for "“iOS 17.0.simruntime” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified."

When I hit cancel, it pops up again, ad infinitum.

Running the update_dyld_sim_shared_cache makes them stop, but opening Xcode brings them up again (and I have to force-quit Xcode). Maybe I missed something?

• Not sure I did anything else... but I might have in the 900 attempts it took ;) But I only did it for visionOS as it was the thing I wanted to check out. I feel the entire process is not even beta ready. There are no notes (that I could find) about how they expect us to install it when you check the boxes in the developer site for download Xcode beta with visionOS. You get files but no information that helps....

• Haha, omg, I see what you mean by 900 attempts.

So I got it to work!

Not sure which parts are necessary, but here we go. I tried rifling through macOS Settings in Security & Privacy but got nowhere.

I'll add a Reply below, rather than a comment, with instructions

Same result on my end. After anxiously awaiting the xrOS Simulator release, this is quite disappointing. Hopefully, this isn't an indication of the actual hardware rollout.

same problem here: posted https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/732407 awaiting response

What I think worked:

Followed JoryDeKort's list of 11 steps, above.

I noticed in Activity Monitor that there was still a process with "simulator" in the name, so I thought "let's shut the whole thing down and try again after a fresh reboot".

So I rebooted, then (without opening Xcode), ran "update_dyld_sim_shared_cache" again, got the warning, hit Show In Finder.

Then I opened Xcode 15 beta 2, got the warning again, hit Cancel, and continued getting a series of prompts and I just kept slamming the Cancel button ... and ... voilà, eventually Xcode stopped showing the dialog prompt, the SBOD (spinning beachball of death/mouse activity indicator) spun around for many seconds as I held my breath (I'm sure that was an important step!) and then ... Xcode just opened my project!

I looked in Xcode Settings->Platforms and iOS 17 beta no longer had a Get button, and looked installed.

I changed the Run Destination in Xcode to iPhone 14 Pro (previously, of course, no iOS 17 destinations showed up there, so I was very hopeful), I hit Run, and my app magically appeared in an iOS 17 simulator!!

Hurray! Thank you Jory!

• Got visionOS to work using the same steps

• Glad attempt 901 did it ;) Feels very intuitive....

• Rebooting is the necessary step! Thanks a lot !

Add a Comment

It's a big mess of "Cannot open" and "Install command line tools" :(. I keep pressing "Open Anyway", it keeps telling me "Cannot open because unverified blah blah...". Then it tries for hours to install command line tools... and I'm still at it.

Guys, do you still have a Quality Control Dept at Apple or did you fire them all?

I have exactly the same problem with me. I have repeated the steps in the answers several times. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me, which is probably a matter of my knowledge. The following worked for me with both visionOS and IOS 17: VisionOS:

1. Open the VisionOS dmg file
  2. Go to: Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles. You should now have a folder called "Runtimes" with the .simruntime file in it.
  3. Move the "Runtimes" folder with the .simruntime file to the "Profiles" folder according to the following instructions: right click on Xcode-Beta/"Show Package Contents"/Contents/Developer/Platforms/XROS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator /Profiles.
  4. Now the simulator can be opened (see below)

iOS 17 Beta:

1. Open the dmg file of IOS 17 beta
  2. Go to: Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Profiles. You should now have a folder called "Runtimes" with the .simruntime file in it.
  3. Move the "Runtimes" folder with the .simruntime file to the "Profiles" folder using the following instructions: right click on Xcode-Beta/"Show Package Contents"/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator /Profiles.
  4. Now the simulator can be opened (see below)

Opening the simulators:

1. Go to Window/Devices and Simulators (shift/comand/2)
  2. Go to Simulators
  3. Select the desired simulator.

I hope it could help

• This solved for me! Thank you very much, I was keeping trying for hours.

Add a Comment

What others have said, installing VisionOS seems to resolve - I'm disappointed that even at beta #3, this is something that really shouldn't have been pushed out.

I have the same problem and I restarted the MacBook after installing the simulator and restarted the xcode solved the dependencies issue.

I uninstalled the xcode and deleted the Developer folder through the terminal using (sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Developer/), restarted the computer and reinstalled the xcode. then I was able to get the ios 17 simulator.