Question about in-app purchases guidelines (3.1.1)

I'm developing and app that also has a web component. This web component allows users to pay for a subscription that would provide them with credits that can be used for several features within the software. Features aren't inherently locked behind these credits.

My question is, do I need to implement this subscription in my app as an in-app purchase? Or can I just allow the users to manage their subscriptions by sending them to the web? 3.1.1 mentions that "Apps and their metadata may not include buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms other than in-app purchase" but I would not be sending them directly to a payment page, but rather a subscription management or a pricing overview page.

Would my app get rejected if I were to just send users to the web page for subscription management?

Replies

Would my app get rejected if I were to just send users to the web page for subscription management?

Most likely, because there you are providing them with mechanisms to pay for your content without using Apple's purchasing mechanism. If you think about the problem the other way - if it would be that easy to bypass Apple's purchasing mechanism, everyone would be doing it, especially big companies.

My question is, do I need to implement this subscription in my app as an in-app purchase?

I'm pretty sure this is the only option in this case.