Local backup of device always requires to enter the device code since iOS 16.1 (Beta and RC)

Is this a bug or and intentional behavior of iOS 16.1: whenever I connect the device to my Mac and the Mac starts to create local backup of the device, I now have to enter the code of my iPhone on my device to confirm that I trust this computer?

In the past this was only necessary once and after I confirmed that I trust the computer, the Mac would silently create a backup whenever the device was connected.

Now this is no longer possible. Every single time a backup should be created (even when clicking on the "create backup now" button directly after a backup has just finished - so the device was not disconnected and connected again - I have to enter the code again). And the issue only affects the backup, all other data (music, podcasts, photos, contacts etc) do sync fine without entering the code (the bad thing is that I have to manually skip the backup otherwise the Finder would simply wait forever for the code to be entered on the device). Also Xcode accepts the device and installs/debugs Apps without any issues.

This means it is not impossible to simply connect the device to the computer to let it sync. I always have to confirm that I trust the computer otherwise the whole syncing process stops just because of the backup...

So what is wrong with the local backup feature? Is this broken now in iOS 16.1? Or is this intentional?

BTW: This happens on 2 iPhones (both run iOS 14.1 RC), so it doesn't seem anything "damaged" on the device...

Replies

Agreed, that this is an issue.

Some people do not backup with icloud.

Those who don't no longer have a clear indication that backups aren't working which seems like a HUGE no-no. "oh, my backups are months old?!?!!?!?!?" seems like a horrible surprise.

Seems like at minimum people should be given the option to permanently grant backup rights.

This is happening to me on multiple IOS devices running 16.1.1 (ipad & iphone) on a Mac running fully patched Ventura.