App Store Review rejecting app because it references upcoming software

I updated one of my apps with the released version of Xcode 14.

The minimum deployment version in the project and target are both iOS 13 (iPadOS 13).

I built and tested it with the Simulator from the released version of Xcode 14.

I built and tested it on some real devices with the released version of Xcode 14.

I archived it, validated it, and uploaded it to the App Store for review.

My "What's New in the Version" text says, "Supports all iPads compatible with iPadOS 13-15."

App Store Review are rejecting it because:

• "Your app or its metadata contains references to a pre-release version of Apple software, products, or hardware. Apps with compatibility references to a pre-release candidate version of an Apple operating system or pre-released Apple products or hardware are not in compliance with the Apple Developer Program License Agreement."

or:

• "We are unable to approve your app because it was built for iPadOS only using a pre-release version of iPadOS 16. While your app may not support new features in iPadOS 16, we are only accepting iOS 16, iPadOS 15.7, and universal apps at this time. To resolve this issue, resubmit your app built for a released version of iOS or iPadOS."

I checked, and there was a random provisioning profile that seems to have been put in by having Xcode 14 update a copy of the original project to the recommended project settings. That seems to be a bug. So, I removed that profile and built again. App Store Review are still rejecting it.

How do I resolve this? I've searched the app, and there is nothing in there targeting iPadOS 16. Nothing at all.

I'm minded to think that because I have the latest Xcode-beta installed on my Mac, that it's using/writing data to a shared location, and when building with the released version of Xcode 14, something is being contaminated in that way?

Any ideas?

Answered by Charles1 in 730637022

Hey, I run today also into this issue. I compiled now my application with Xcode 13.4.1 (19F64) instead of 14.0.1 (20A360).

App was accepted!

Good luck!

More fun. I deleted Xcode-beta. I deleted Xcode 14.0.1. I deleted DerivedData. I deleted the entire /Library/Developer folder. I rebooted. I installed Xcode 14.0.1 only. I built the app. It targets iOS 13 (iPadOS 13).

App Review have rejected it again because "your app app or its metadata contains references to unreleased software". HOW CAN IT?

They are being ZERO help. They don't give you any information as to where it might be referencing upcoming software.

I've released app updates this week, including today, that target iOS 13. The only difference here is that this is an iPad app, and iPadOS 16 hasn't been released yet. But I'm not targeting iPadOS 16! How is anyone else releasing updates for iPad apps?

It's so infuriating. If they won't help me I'll spend my time doing less annoying things, and keep muttering swear words in my head.

We've had the same issue in the past day. Our app targets iOS 11, and is iPad exclusive. The App Store Review outright refuse to understand that there is no way we could be targeting iPadOS 16, as we don't even have support files downloaded for it. I'm happy to rebuild the app if they can point me in the right direction regarding this issue, but at this stage I believe this to be an App Store review bug.

Accepted Answer

Hey, I run today also into this issue. I compiled now my application with Xcode 13.4.1 (19F64) instead of 14.0.1 (20A360).

App was accepted!

Good luck!

Yeah, the fix for this is to build your iPad apps with Xcode 13.4.1 and NOT with the released version of Xcode 14.

This seems like a massive error on Apple's part. We all know that iPadOS 16 isn't released yet, so surely - when you validate and distribute your app - Xcode should inform us that we can't use that build, and stop us sending it in?

Also, the App Review team must know the reason they're rejecting our apps? Surely they should just tell us to build our apps with Xcode 13.4.1 instead of just copying & pasting some text from the Developer Agreement that doesn't tell us anything we don't already know? This just smacks of utter incompetence on their part.

thanks for sharing.

App Store Review rejecting app because it references upcoming software

Q