how to transfer an app never released in App Store?

Apple has a recent policy [5.1.1(ix)] requiring medical apps like mine to be submitted by healthcare organizations, not individual physician programmers like me. I have an app I worked on for a couple months, loaded it to AppStoreConnect, sent it out on Test Flight, good feedback, ready to release. But cannot release as individual physician. So went to my employer healthcare organization. They'd be happy to publish my app. I now have credentials within their developers account. When I try to upload my same app (rebuilt with new certificates and identifiers for organization), I can't get it to upload because Apple flags my upload as copying someone else's material -- I suspect my own material! It sees that "Cardiovascular Risk" app submitted under my healthcare organization is just like my "cardiovascular Risk" app submitted also by me under my personal developers account! If the app were already approved at least once, I could transfer it. But since never approved for the App Store, I cannot use the Transfer App process that Apple offers. I already tried changing the name of the app, the display name, the details in the bundle identifier, and I made sure to remake the necessary certificates and profiles and app ID with my newly joined organization account.

Any ideas? Not sure who at Apple to reach out to. Not a code issue. Not exactly an account issue. Not a legal issue, although the problem is sorta me copying the material of myself, so I did drop them a line. Help!

Best, -- Josh

Accepted Reply

Thanks for the screenshot.

That message is telling you that an app already exists in the system with the App Name you've chosen. Of course, you know this to be true!

To resolve this, change the name of the "previous" version of the app, or remove that app from App Store Connect.

Read View and edit app information and Remove an app in App Store Connect Help for more information, or contact App Store Connect support.

—jasonag.

Replies

Hello Josh,

Can you clarify what you mean by "Apple flags my upload as copying someone else's material"? In what way is this being flagged? If there's a specific error message, or if it's coming from App Review during the review, it will help to know that.

Thanks,

—jasonag.

Good question, pardon my lack of clarity. I build the product for archive in Xcode. Xcode Organizer window shows me the build. I select the build and click Distribute App button. I go through the process preparing for upload, and halfway through, I get this message, see screenshot. When I spoke to Apple Developer Help, they said it means my app is the same as something already uploaded to AppStoreConnect, and of course that's true because the version I uploaded with my new organization developer account is virtually the same as the version I worked on for months in my personal developer account. This very day I uploaded the same app back to my personal developer account to let others look at it on Test Flight. It successfully uploaded via the same process in Organizer and Distribute App, without being flagged for being similar to anyone else's content.

Thanks for the screenshot.

That message is telling you that an app already exists in the system with the App Name you've chosen. Of course, you know this to be true!

To resolve this, change the name of the "previous" version of the app, or remove that app from App Store Connect.

Read View and edit app information and Remove an app in App Store Connect Help for more information, or contact App Store Connect support.

—jasonag.

Dear jasonag,

I did just what you recommended, pulling the app version from my personal account at AppStoreConnect. I also found one more bug along the way which probably would have given me trouble too. With the main obstacle removed by removing the app from my personal account, the submission of the same app in my new organization account worked.

Thanks! -- Josh