el capitan beta 2 update frozen at 3/4 progress

I tried updating to el capitan beta 2, my computer restarted and now its been stuck at 3/4 updated for hours now.

I cant log in to delete any affected files (which is what some other people said to do).

I cant hold cmd-r to enter recovery mode, it doesnt do anything even when I restart and hold it as soon as I hit the power button.

I tried booting off a external harddrive that i backed up all my stuff on a few months ago, that wont work either- it just gets me to enter my apple id then keeps on updating.

If anyone could help me out it'd be much appreciated, my laptop is useless at the moment. 😟

Accepted Reply

Hmmm. Interesting that you can log in that far. You could try Safe Boot in that case:

1. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.
  2. Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the Shift key.You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

If that doesn't give you access, then you'll have to use Single User Mode:

1. Hold ⌘S on startup
  2. Wait until the white text is completely finished scrolling down then type:
  3. mount -uw /
  4. cd /Users
  5. ls
  6. --- IDENTIFY YOUR USER FOLDER FOR THE NEXT LINE - TYPE IT AFTER cd WITHOUT MIXING UPPER AND LOWER CASE LETTERS ---
  7. cd YOURUSERFOLDERHERE
  8. rm -r Library/Application\ Support/iCloud/Accounts
  9. reboot

Replies

Hi Cmj05sc,

I'm happy to try to help, but could you start your own thread as this one is already long and convoluted. Also it becomes complicated trying to help two people in the same thread, especially if they have different underlying issues - there seem to be at least 4 underlying issues that people have had with the lastest beta - so far only 3 have been identified.

Thanks,

Max.

I ran into the same issue with the release seed. This helped tremendously. Thanks!