el capitan beta 2 update frozen at 3/4 progress

I tried updating to el capitan beta 2, my computer restarted and now its been stuck at 3/4 updated for hours now.

I cant log in to delete any affected files (which is what some other people said to do).

I cant hold cmd-r to enter recovery mode, it doesnt do anything even when I restart and hold it as soon as I hit the power button.

I tried booting off a external harddrive that i backed up all my stuff on a few months ago, that wont work either- it just gets me to enter my apple id then keeps on updating.

If anyone could help me out it'd be much appreciated, my laptop is useless at the moment. 😟

Accepted Reply

Hmmm. Interesting that you can log in that far. You could try Safe Boot in that case:

1. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.
  2. Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the Shift key.You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

If that doesn't give you access, then you'll have to use Single User Mode:

1. Hold ⌘S on startup
  2. Wait until the white text is completely finished scrolling down then type:
  3. mount -uw /
  4. cd /Users
  5. ls
  6. --- IDENTIFY YOUR USER FOLDER FOR THE NEXT LINE - TYPE IT AFTER cd WITHOUT MIXING UPPER AND LOWER CASE LETTERS ---
  7. cd YOURUSERFOLDERHERE
  8. rm -r Library/Application\ Support/iCloud/Accounts
  9. reboot

Replies

Thats what im working on now, it wont let me log in to icloud.

I went to library/application support but I dont see anything about icloud.

1. Select Finder
  2. Press Shift+Cmd+g
  3. Copy-Paste the following and press return
  4. ~/Library/Application Support/iCloud/Accounts
  5. Delete all files in the folder it brings you to
  6. Reboot

hmm, I did this and restarted. Then I went to system prefs and to icloud and hit enter password, I entered my password and it seemed to work for about 5 seconds then asked for my password again.

Can you still sign out and back in with that password from other iDevices?

alright so it seems like im using icloud on my laptop but it says at the top "enter password to continue using icloud' so I hit enter password and now when I hit enter it says "an unknown error occured".

Yeah my phone and ipad are working fine!

Can you sign out of iCloud from the Preference Pane?

I did sign out then back in and it still showed the message, then I deleted the icloud folder AGAIN and restarted my laptop. After that i went into sys prefs and entered my icloud pass, it said unknown error. I hit caancel then enter password and it seemed to work the second time! It finally accepted my password and everything appears in order, thank you very much! 😀

Glad it's all sorted - I'm off to bed now; it's 5am here! 🙂

Holy! I really appreciate you staying up to help me, im really relieved because I work on my laptop! Can finally get back to work 😀 Night!

Thanks Max108 , you just saved my day and thanks BryanCbb for facing this issue before me 😝

Hi Max This is a problem I am having too. However, it happened with running some CPU hungry software which caused a crash. My guess is that the update was waiting for a restart to kick in. In which case this information may be irrelevant. My MBP will only boot to the apple logo and update bar. I get ⅓ progress and it stays there. Safe mode - same thing Recovery mode - boot from my HDD and then the same thing Internet recovery - spinning globe then white screen for 30 mins then powers down So I tried single user, and typed your command lines. I'm shown my guest and personal user names. My personal being thomaspatrick. So I type... cd thomaspatrick rm -r Library/Application\ Support/iCloud/Accounts I'm told no such directory is found. PLEASE HELP.

Hi Thomas,

Based on what you've explained your issue is actually entirely seperate from the one that triggered this thread (which is already long and convoluted).

Resolving your issue might involve a bit of back and forth so do you mind starting a new thread for it?

Best,

Max

Hello everyone! I'm having the same issue but with beta 4 released this week. Unfortunately I have a Mac mini with Bluetooth keyboard, and pressing any key doesn't work. I'll try connecting an USB keyboard this afternoon, and see. Any other ideas?

Still stuck on the **** screen with a halfway Boot thing. Nothing works as far as holding down buttons. Any thoughts