Google Funding Choices – How to tell if a user is in EEA for GDPR?

tldr: When using Funding Choices, how can we tell if a user is in the EEA so that we can allow them to go back and change their privacy consent answers?

I'm using Google Funding Choices for GDPR consent and to notify users about App Tracking Transparency. https://apps.admob.com/v2/privacymessaging I've got it all integrated and it works well with testing. Users in the EEA are presented a GDPR dialog and others are not. That's great. However, I need a way for those GDPR users to get back in there and change their mind. But any other users that shouldn't be an option (because we can only ask a user about ATT once).

Here's the problem – I only want to show a "Manage Privacy" button on the game's settings screen for GDPR users. But I can't figure out how to ask the SDK if GDPR applies in order to do that. I can try always showing the "Manage Privacy" button, so at least it will be there for the GDPR. But then what should that button do for non-GDPR users?

If you're using Funding Choices, how are you making your app so that users can go back to that GDPR dialog?

Replies

If at some point the user had to consent to GDPR, then you could save that fact in local persistence (e.g., SharedPreferences/UserDefaults). Something like a isEEA flag. And then you'd only show related widgets to revoke/edit consent when that's true.

• I don’t think there’s any way to confirm what form(s) Funding Choices has loaded or shown. It seems like a black box. I believe it loads and shows forms without informing the app any details about the specifics. Your idea sounds great if there was a way for the app to know what’s been presented to the user. So far I’m shipping my games where the Privacy Settings button is available to all users. It’s kind of a weird experience for non-EEA users since it doesn’t really do anything. I think it minimizes the chances that I’ll get in trouble with the GDPR laws and maybe most users don’t bother to scroll to the bottom of a Settings screen. :/

Add a Comment