Xcode 13 typing is delayed / really slow

I just updated Xcode to the newest Version (13.0 13A233). And what I immediately recognized was that when I was typing in a large class (1000 Lines or more) the typing was delayed like 1 or 2 seconds. This makes it really hard to type or even do anything with my project. It works perfectly fine in smaller projects with only 100 Code Lines per File, but it is really hard to type in bigger projects with over 30 files and 3000 Code Lines per File. This always happens when I use Xcode, whether I run the app on a real device or a simulator.

Things that could cause the issue in my case:

• I removed the contents of ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/iOS DeviceSupport, because it took the device previously too long to launch, but I don´t think that this should have an effect on my Xcode typing performance.

I would really appreciate any help, because this issue makes my work impossible and really concerns me a lot.

• me too.

• me too.

• Any updates on this? Been dealing with it for years. Every time I press a key there is a .5-1 second delay. Impossible to code like this!! Come on Apple, fix this please!

Replies

Two things I would try first:

• Do a Clean Build Folder
  • Look at Issues navigator (on the left panel) and see if you've got any warning to update to new settings. If so, do it.
  • I already did that, didn't work for my unfortunately.

Add a Comment

Having the same issues, but respectfully I wanted to just say '1000 lines or more', like wow!? I didn't know myself until just a few years ago that there are some ideals we should all be heading towards and it's not classes with 1000 lines...check out Uncle Bob on YT, Clean Code, great learnings. Don't worry, when I started making Genesis games a long time ago...it was one source file of 10,000 lines - so have been there and back again! :-) Take care and I hope this helps...and we both find an Xcode solution.

• Thanks for your answer. I really got to work on my file management, but thank you for your advice :)

Add a Comment

yes, same issue here.

it's a huge bug in Xcode 13.

there was no issue in beta 1. the problem started from beta 4.

i thought it was fixed in the final release as it worked normally for a few hours. but now the same problem came back

I'm re-submitting this bug to Apple.

in the meantime, I'm back to working in Xcode 13 Beta 1 as there's no issue there.

Same boring issue.

I just found making "Show live issues" unchecked will avoid this typing issue for now (this checkbox is located at "General" tab of Xcode preferences).

• Thanks for the info!

Disabling Show live issues indeed restores normal typing. Once Show live issues is enabled again, slow typing returns after a live issue is shown.

Disabling Show live issues, however, is also like going back to an ancient 15-year-old version when Xcode didn't have this feature. The loss of time and productivity would be enormous (for me, at least). That's why, in my view, it's better to just go to an earlier version that doesn't have this issue (Xcode 12 or Xcode 13 Beta 1, if you still have it).

• ha it looks like the 'Add a Comment' feature here removes all line breaks from text...

• I notice that "show live issues" here just "refresh" issues, it acts like keep checking & refreshing whenever u typing a character lol.

I'm satisfied w/o it for now, just need to press cmd+b to see whether there're some new issues when needed. ;)

Anyway, it's just a workaround as an option here, hope further version will solve this issue.

Add a Comment

Also experiencing these issues (slow typing, slow navigation) with XCode13. Albeit, my app is incredibly complex, multiple files, many containing thousands of lines of code. But XCode is a professional tool, and hasn't given me this kind of grief in the decade using it to build for the Apple eco system.

If this continues it may finally push me away from Apple development and move my work to "web applications" instead.

PS Unchecking Preferences->General->Show Live Issues helped but didn't completely solve the slowness issues for me.

• I just submitted a bug report via Feedback Assistant to Apple. They answered and said I should provide them with additional information, which I did now. Hope it'll be fixed soon

• That seemed to speed up typing, but when hitting a return key or deleting a block of text is still super slow. I submitted a bug report ages ago and no progress.

Add a Comment

Xcode 13.1 has been released, but does it actually address this issue at all?

• We have a very large project and Xcode 13.1 is just as laggy and slow as Xcode 13 so, from our end, we haven't seen any improvement.

• That's unfortunate. I hope they address this. Otherwise it's unusable.

• Nope not fixed in 13.1. The released version of Xcode 13 is still useless.

what helped to me: Right-click on any opened tab, "Close other tabs". would not say it is now ideal, but much better than it was.

• Do you mean that you have to work with one open tab only? Or you can open additional tabs again after closing them?

• Doesn't work for me. I don't use tabs at all.

• Yes, you can open more than one , but in my case there were opened more than 100 tabs ; after closing them everything did become a lot faster.

Having the same problem on 13.1 too. Regret updating from a perfectly working Xcode 12.

Still not fixed in Xcode 13.2 beta (13C5066c)

Hello there, any news about this bug? I really concern about this. Xcode 13 became unusable and the worst thing is you even can't run xcode12 on Monterey.

Xcode never had reputation as best IDE, but it seems Apple xcode team still trying as hard as possible to worsen it.

• Xcode 13.1 made it a lot better for me. The bug only happens once a week now, but when it happens its really annoying. Hope they'll fix it soon.

Add a Comment

Same here, version 13 is unusable at the moment

• Agreed, unfortunately. This needs fixing quickly

Add a Comment

Xcode 13.1 is an improvement for me, however when switching Schemes, Xcode becomes unresponsive (spinning colour wheel) for 7 minutes.

I am running on macOS Big Sur 11.5.1, and Xcode 13.1 (13A1030d). TYPING on Xcode is lagging behind my key strokes. It is very noticeable.

Our project file statistics are as follows.

github.com/AlDanial/cloc v 1.90  T=10.90 s (633.2 files/s, 119493.9 lines/s)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Language                     files          blank        comment           code
Swift                         1423          54225          53795         179861
C++                            718          23035          29356         172582
C/C++ Header                  2318          45285         119736         168614
Objective-C                    795          26029          23481         139493
XML                            544            962            259          88535
C                              390          15042          23232          84013
JSON                           612              1              0          23249
Markdown                        56           6005              0          18062
Objective-C++                   33           1013            811           4091
Bourne Shell                     7            113            126            677
Pascal                           2             87            185            180
HTML                             1              5             12             32
YAML                             1              0              0              5
SUM:                          6900         171802         250993         879394

As you can see, it is a fairly large project. We are using CocoaPods to add dependencies as well (Firebase, Alamofire, GRDB). We are not using SwiftUI. User Interfaces are almost all developed using Storyboards and Nibs.

Xcode has had a few minor issues that didn't directly impacted my productivity. But with the latest version of Xcode, typing is extremely laggy. Almost as if the Autocompletion is running on the UI thread.

Apple please fix this please. If you can't manage the scale of this project, then at least consider opening up the IDE to be more tinkering-friendly. You've closed up the ecosystem and degrade your existing products which questions your values as an organization.

• Having the same problem and my codebase is smaller than that. Also, it was all working perfectly fine on 12.4, so it's definitely a bug. This typing is however driving me crazy... It's unusable. Such a piece of crap software

Add a Comment

Every major version of Xcode gets slower and slower. Apple wants you to buy its latest computer device. Especially now M1 series computers

• FWIW that's exactly what I did, and on a Macbook Pro M1 Pro that costs 3k€, typing in XCode 13 is lagging behind my keystrokes. Which, coming from an Intel Macbook Air with XCode 12 makes me feel like I downgraded at a premium price.

Add a Comment

Just to make sure this thread gets the attention it deserves. I have the same issue on my brand new Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro with a rather small and simple project. None of the suggestions above made any noticeable improvement, the only thing that works is to hide my SwiftUI previews...

Project stats:

find . -name '*.swift' | xargs wc -l | awk '{print $1, "***.swift"}'
58 ***.swift
36 ***.swift
40 ***.swift
65 ***.swift
180 ***.swift
70 ***.swift
70 ***.swift
71 ***.swift
147 ***.swift
67 ***.swift
70 ***.swift
35 ***.swift
102 ***.swift
89 ***.swift
194 ***.swift
74 ***.swift
319 ***.swift
115 ***.swift
183 ***.swift
123 ***.swift
84 ***.swift
38 ***.swift
87 ***.swift
22 ***.swift
476 ***.swift
14 ***.swift
30 ***.swift
21 ***.swift
26 ***.swift
27 ***.swift
2933 total

My Macbook's stats:

At this point I'm considering throwing all my iDevices out of the window as well and start a new career as a barista.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Sgu Down vote reply of Sgu
  • Wish it was just a slowdown... my xcode 13.3.1 is just freezing completely, no matter how long I wait it, have to force quit. I'm off submitting a but, this is impossible to use, I'm killing it every few minutes...

Add a Comment