Intel Mac freezes on Monterey, especially during video calls or scrolling

have a 2020 Mac Book Pro on Mac OS 12 Beta (Monterey). While on a google meet or zoom call / or while just scrolling, the mac freezes. One has to force reset the Mac. Never had this problem before and is happening since we installed beta version on 2 Intel Mac Book Pros. Both have this freezing and crash issue.

Any guidance?

Regards

Ajay

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of ASB0310 Down vote post of ASB0310
16k views
  • Same freezing issue on my iMac, no crashing. (Video works fine on other devices in my LAN.)

Add a Comment

Replies

Same thing here. Any video calls will decrease performance gradually until it freeze the Mac.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Neto Down vote reply of Neto
  • That doesn't help

Add a Comment

Any ideas on this issue? I've had to hard reset everyday since upgrading at least once.

I got the same freezing issue, using Figma and it has frozen frequently since installing Monterey. I have tried updating apps on the App Store following advice on the internet but it does not help.

I have the problem also on my laptop. It's very annoying because I have to "hard reboot" it many times a day.

Not an answer, but another person with the freezing problem. Freezing up multiple times a day since the Monterey update. The most common timing is when I'm dragging a window from one monitor to another (dual external monitors connected to my machine), but it can happen at any time. A few times it has happened again immediately shortly after reboot before I even really do anything.

Very similar 16" intel i9 MacBook config to user sarguin.

Apple - please help. I rely on this to do my job.

• An update on this - it's potentially too early to tell, but I may have a (terrible) workaround. In googling this issue, I am seeing a correlation to dual monitors being a factor. I generally use 2 external 4k displays, which may make me more prone to issues since it's a lot of pixels to redraw. Granted, this worked 100% fine in early Mac OS versions - I literally never had a freeze up ever before Monterey.

Anyway, today after 4 freezes and reboots in 4 hours, I've been working against a single external 4k monitor for about 3 hours now without a freeze-up.

Also, if you do freeze up, after a few minutes that seem like an eternity, the computer will self reboot and let you crash report to Apple. I would suggest making those reports if you are impacted.

Add a Comment

Same System (Only with 32gb RAM instead of 64gb), same problem.

Regularly crashes (whether in a vpn connection, in the browser, when starting a game...), sometimes up to 5 crashes in one day, always . I've experienced more crashes in the SHORT time since I've had macOS Monterey on the machine than I have in the last 20 years on Windows (before that it was a very stable system). Each time it is the Windows server that stops responding.

In addition, there are problems with using external monitors, I have 2 4k monitors attached to the Macbook Pro. At startup (rarely during work) one gets no signal, only after switching the monitor to the port again, the system continues to work. This is also strange in connection with a setting in World of Warcraft: Selecting the monitor. What worked fine before, now only works with tricks (I have two external monitors with the same name, no matter which one I select, the first one is always used - only starting in the window and then maximizing helped).

In my case, there are also two usb-adapters on the computer, but I have heard the same problem from people who use the Macbook with a maximum of one external monitor and without adapters.

Same issue. 2019 16’ MacBook pro 2 external 4K monitor freeze frequently. The os will restart after few minutes automatically.

• I can confirm it is working fine with single external monitor.

Add a Comment

Reset SMC works for me. After reset, it has been working for a day now without an issue. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

• This did not work for me. Tried again today and I froze up within a couple of hours. I did an SMC last week and made it like 24 hours between freezes, so good luck. So far the only thing that works is just one single external monitor

Add a Comment

After the Monterey update all my regular workflows have been freezing constantly. Not even on heavy tasks. I'd have sublime text, a few google chrome tabs, and a zoom meeting open at the same time. The whole system starts stuttering/freezing. Sometimes my zoom call disconnects completely.

When I click on iStat menus in my menu bar it shows that kernel_task is using 500% CPU and that the clock speed is 1,00 GHz. In my 3 years of using this MacBook for 8 hours a day on a daily basis I've never seen it run at 1,00 GHz and I've kept an eye on it a lot because of thermal throttling.

I've reset my SMC about 6 times in 1 day. The first 5 times the problem returned within 30 to 60 minutes after starting up. The 6th time the SMC reset seemed to have fixed it. My MacBook worked fine for about a week and today the problem returned again.

Running 2 external monitors with each their own HDMI -> USB C adapter (1 plugged in on the left, other on the right side)

• Main monitor is running 2560 x 1440 @60Hz
  • Second monitor is running 1920 x 1080 @60Hz
  • I use my MacBook with the lid open as a 3rd monitor.

MacBook Specs:

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • 2,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
  • @savami, try using a single dock that can support both monitors. That solved the freezing problem for me, when I switch to a Dell D6000 dock in place of the separate USB-C dongles

Add a Comment

This issue happens to me when watching any kind of video, Youtube, Zoom, other video chats, etc. The video locks up but the audio continues.

I am able to reset the app with Command-Tab to other app or Desktop, then use Force Quit on the frozen app.

I am not using an external monitor.

I also have the same issue on a 2019 macbook pro

I have the same problem on 2019 mac pro.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253324255

There is a discussions thread going on discussing this issue. A tentative fix of lowering the Macbook's build in display to 48 or 50Hz while using external monitors is working for some people. I am testing it now myself.

I upgraded to Monterey 12.0.1 recently. Almost every video call freezes in the middle. The audio keeps working for a while, but video freezes, then the call drops all together. This has happened to me while using Zoom client, and also while using Google Meet in Safari browser.

I am not using an external monitor.

Any ideas on how to fix it? It is becoming a major issue for me!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Same here, each day, multiple times a day.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

Using the MacBook's display + 2 external monitors @ 60Hz I guess.

Never had any freeze issue before the update to Monterey.

It's SO frustrating.