Enrolled in Small Business Program - Still takes ~30% cut.

As the title says, I am enrolled in the small business program but Apple still takes about 30% of my sales. Most of my sales are from Swedish customers, not sure if this matters.

For instance I have an app with sales of: $109
After apples cut I am left with: $74
74/109 = 0.68.

Why is this? I have non consumable IAP in my app.

Replies

Any ideas?
Is it possible to give you extra money at the end of the year?
Or, you will be recognized as small business after one year?
Thank you for your response. I am already enrolled in the program since my 2020 sales were below 1 million usd. So they already know that I am a small business and I haven't seen anything written anywhere about giving back the 15% at the end of the year?
Add a Comment

We've just noticed something similar – apart from 3 sales in April only sales in USD or CAD are at 15%, all the rest from Jan-May are at 30%. The 3 exceptions are 2 GBP and 1 ILS at 15%, but other GBP in April are at 30%. So if these are the exceptions which prove the rule it seems to be related to non-USD/CAD sales. Will contact Apple.

• Yes this is only a problem from the swedish customers. Did you resolve your problem?

• (@mackeT – Just came back tp update and saw your comment)

Initially Apple did not appear to understand the issue and explained how we should calculate the %age, i.e. the way we were. On 18 June we were assured the problem was being investigated and given a case number. The June financial reports are just out and we see the same problem – in general all USD/CAD sales are at 15% and others typically 30%, sometimes 15%, and some at "23%" – which allowing for rounding is the mid-point but that might be a coincidence.

We are just going to follow up under our case number.

We encourage everybody to check their financial reports and raise an issue direct with Apple if this is affecting them, if enough devs raise the issue they'll probably get it fixed quicker.

• @mackeT – an update.

Apple are suggesting that local taxes explains the apparent 30% commission, i.e. that by coincidence that local tax rates are ~15% and previously the total take was ~45%. There appears to be some merit in that suggestion, though different localities have different tax rates. However, at least in our accounts, there are significant discrepancies such as sales in the same country on the same day being charged at total commission + tax rates of ~15% and ~30% – but maybe that is a different error.

If the differences are all down to tax rates it begs the obvious question of why there isn't a "local tax %" column to make it obvious and why in the financial_report tables, which does have columns for tax, all the values are 0 – at least in our reports. We've raised that with Apple.

TL;DR Apple are suggesting/hinting it is all down to fluctuating (we compared different months) tax rates and the rest is coincidence. If we get any more we'll report here.

Same here. They exactly 30% of most of my IAP. I bee approved to program for over year.

There doing the math wrong.. intentionally or not but they doing it wrong.

if they’re mixing local taxes with their comission, then they should put it in a different column for everyone to see. This a very shady practice if its true.

I contact them and they simply return a copy-paste answer and close the thread. Hopefully more Developers report this issue. Is very seriois and SHOULD GO PUBLIC.

• We just came back here to report on our "progress" (see above) and saw your post.

We have an open case number, the Apple person associated with it has said they see our point and Apple is working on providing the explanation… But no explanation ever arrives, just more monthly reports with inexplicable numbers.

We actually suspect the calculation are correct, and we've told Apple we're happy to have "egg on our faces", but realistically we'll never know. After another couple of months of silence from Apple we've written to them to suggest they just own up and admit they'll never give us the data. They'll probably reply that they're still working on it, as they have been for half a year now, and after that we'll probably stop reminding them every few months the case is still open.

Go email Apple directly, get your own case number, and if they ever tell you how they're doing the calculations please post it to the forums. We wish you luck, but don't get your hopes up.

Add a Comment

"Apple cut" is not only the Apple commission, but also sales taxes they pay in 84 countries for you. Therefore, typically, you should still at least 26% taken from Apple. And depending where you sell the most, you might see more, or less.