WatchOS 7.4 Beta : Simulator synced. UpdateApplicationContext() not working

Greetings fellow WatchOS app developers,

On the iOS simulator running 12.5 beta, the method updateApplicationContext() claims that it succeeded, no exception is thrown and yet the WatchOS app, running on a WatchOS 7.4 simulator never gets its
Code Block language
session(_ session: WCSession, didReceiveApplicationContext applicationContext: [String : Any])
method invoked.

Same issue in the other direction: The WatchOs app claims success on updating the iPhone app's application context. Yet nothing arrives.

This works fine on real devices running iOS 14.5 beta and WatchOS 7.4 beta.

Are there any workarounds? Due to Covid-19, I'm working remotely and can't debug on a real device, and need to be able to debug a critical WatchOS 7.4 specific issue.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

>On the iOS simulator running 12.5 beta,
I meant running iOS 14.5 beta. It's been a long night
I still can't get this to work in the simulator. I've created and torn down several different simulator permutations, and just can't get applications context receiving working in Xcode 12.5 Beta 3. The send claims every thing is successful and yet nothing is received.

Was really hoping that some other WatchOS developer had experienced this WatchConnectivity simulator issue and had the solution.

For me this is awful because I can only debug in a simulator due to the pandemic. Hopefully the next beta version of Xcode will address this.
..And now of course, Xcode 12.5 is no longer in beta, but the issue is still there. This shows how few developers are using the WatchOS 7.4 simulator on Xcode 12.5.

I guess most of the WatchOS developers are doing development/debugging on physical watch devices. You are quite fortunate!
I am having this problem on Xcode 10.5. It seems that this problem is only occurring in one direction. When I update the applicationContext on the watchOS simulator it correctly sends to the iOS simulator but not the other way around. Hoping for some insight on this!
@cgaafary,
That is exactly what I've observed. Application context transfers work from WatchOS simulator to iOS simulator, but not the other way around. This appears to be such an obvious, highly repeatable bug that I'm shocked that Apple let this slip through.

Regardless filing the bug report was a 100% waste of time, since Apple said they can't duplicate the issue.

Looks like I will be opening a TSI for this. Will keep you all posted.
Apple was able to duplicate the issue and a solution is forthcoming. Will update this thread as soon as I have new info.

Any updates here? I'm still seeing this issue and stuck.

Me too! Surely there's a fix for this?