SpringBoard Error - No Extension available for this bundle

Hi everyone,

I've some problems with my NotificationExtension.
My app with the extension is online for nearly a year and everything works fine.

Now I want to share data between the main app and the notification extension, therefore I've added an appgroup as described in the documentation.

During the development and local testing, everything works fine like always.
Now I'm testing over testflight and I get this error:

No Extension available for this bundle

Error was encountered trying to find service Extension: error = Error Domain =UNErrorDomain Code=1904 "Unknown application"

The extension will not be invoked and the plain notification (as sent from server) will be displayed.

The only thing that will fix this error is rebooting the device after installation or update but I think this is not an option for my user base.

Anyone here who had the same problem?

I'm using Xcode 12.4 and I've tried on different devices with iOS 14.1 and 14.4.

Accepted Reply

I think figured it out.
There's a problem if you've had a development version of the app on the device.

If you uninstall the app completely and restart the device the update / installation from appstore or testflight will work fine.
On devices which never had a development version installed, the error didn't occur.

Replies

We believe you are experiencing a known issue. If you have not filed a bug report for this issue please do so, in order to make sure it is the same issue, at the Feedback Assistant https://feedbackassistant.apple.com

Some of the bug fixes in the iOS 14.5 beta releases may address your concerns. You should test on the beta and verify if you still see the same behavior or not and include your results as part of your bug report.

I think figured it out.
There's a problem if you've had a development version of the app on the device.

If you uninstall the app completely and restart the device the update / installation from appstore or testflight will work fine.
On devices which never had a development version installed, the error didn't occur.
@Gualtier Malde can you elaborate on the known issue? We're seeing the same thing, and want to verify it's only happening to devices that have had dev versions of the app installed.