iOS 14 iPhone folders disappearing

When rearranging the home screen and subsequent pages, folders containing apps will spontaneously vanish, leaving the app icons on the pages. It may be related to widgets moving on the page.
Just had this happen when rearranging widgets. Going to try to restore from iCloud backup this morning to get back old layout
I had over 300 apps that took several years to properly organize into two pages, now because I edited my music widget to be larger they are spread over 10 or so pages. I don’t understand why you would release an update with such massive issues that nobody even knew was coming? On top of that, you’re a decade late to widgets, and you couldn’t even do them properly. Please fix this and put out proper widgets and app customization.
someone needs to reply to this freaking post. Same thing happened to me ***?!
Unbelievable. And not just expanding apps everywhere but interspersed mixing up everything. Insanity! 14.0 on iPhone 11. 14.0.1 notes do not suggest this is addressed
happened to me on my xs max running on iOS 14.0.1, i was trying to add larg wedgit to other one as a slack, i hope my icloud backup will restore the folders since I've been arranging everything fro almost 10 years.

the sad thing that i found some posts complaining about this issue since the BETA release, this is major bug and should not be ignored like this.

Just had the same issue, on iOS 14.0.1: adding a large Files widget to the home screen made most (but not all) of my folders disappear. Just 12 folders are left intact. I had 90% of my 250+ apps inside 50 or 60 folders, so this is quite a disaster. Now I’m wondering how to get them back. Restore from iCloud backup?
One workaround for this madness is as follows:

• Add the widget you want to a new page

• In jiggle mode, tap the page dots and deselect all pages except the one with the widget you just added and the one where you want to add the widget to

• Drag the widget to the right place and tidy up any apps that may have moved

• Unhide the pages hidden in step 2

Added the google and world clock widgets to Home Screen. Noticed changes appeared to have happened somewhat arbitrarily to Home Screen and disappeared folders. Removed the widgets and now have numerous folders and apps unsorted and placed in what appears to be random order. Also unable to move folders within folders as I am trying to recategorise split out apps across multiple pages. Hugely frustrating.
Same here. My entire second page was folders and at least half have expanded out.
It wouldn’t be so bad if the App Library folders were editable, and I guess I’m going to use this as the impetus to use spotlight more, but it’s hugely annoying all the same.
I got the same problem. :-/
Just had this happen to me. Moved a large widget between pages & the page animation freaked out. Lots more page dots appeared and all the apps from my (only) 4 folders had randomly strewn themselves across 6 pages.

I assumed this had to be an extremely rare bug for it to make it through beta, the public release, & 14.0.1 but apparently (from all the replies here) it is a well known bug.
Had this problem when stacking a widget on my Home Screen - I ended up hiding all the pages with apps, so I now just have widgets and the App Library pages. I’ll let my phone categorize folders now, and save time :)

To hide pages
  • edit the Home Screen (wiggle mode)

• tap the page dots at the bottom

• uncheck all the pages you want to hide (you can always add them back later)

Having the same issue here... I tried to move a double-row sized widget onto my 2nd page of apps and the whole Home Screen edit view just crashed and I got a spinning white wheel on a black background.

When the wheel finished spinning Home Screen layout was destroyed, all folders (except for like 2 randomly) wiped out, and apps now spread out across like 8+ pages when I only had 4 total originally!

Has anyone determined a fix for this yet? I’m thinking about wiping/restoring from a backup, but I just really don’t feel like going thru all that hassle just to get my views back... I feel like maybe this is an Easter Egg bug designed to force power users w/ a lot of apps to use the new App Library lol 😂!
Just happened to me. Went from two pages of nicely sorted apps. To 8 pages of apps sorted in no particular order. This issue needs to be corrected ASAP
Me too, just now. Rather annoying.
iOS 14 iPhone folders disappearing

Q