iOS 14 Beta 2 won't restart (or launch any app)

I have an iPhone X that I was about to update with iOS 14 Beta 3. When I hit "Install Now" it said something to the effect of "an unknown error" occurred. After that, the phone literally won't launch any app, and the hardware buttons won't restart the phone (though they do still otherwise work for volume, etc). I can interact with Siri. If I say "Open Settings", Siri responds with "I couldn't Open Settings. Sorry about that". Basically, I need to figure out any way to interact with the phone short of waiting several hours for battery to drain or disassembling phone. Has anyone ever seen this? In 10+ years, this is a first for me.

Accepted Reply

I was able to resolve this. I didn't realize there was a new force restart sequence since the emergency all process took over the power/volume combo (which is what I'd been trying). New process was to:

Press and release the volume up button.
Press and release the volume down button.
Press and hold the side button until the screen turns off and then turns back on. You can release the side button when the Apple logo appears.

Replies

On the plus side, battery has been draining pretty quickly in iOS 14, so a full drain shouldn't take too long. I can interact with control center, so I've gone ahead and turned on flashlight and set screen to max brightness, and I'm losing about 1% per minute of battery, so hopefully, I'll force a restart in the next hour or so....
I was able to resolve this. I didn't realize there was a new force restart sequence since the emergency all process took over the power/volume combo (which is what I'd been trying). New process was to:

Press and release the volume up button.
Press and release the volume down button.
Press and hold the side button until the screen turns off and then turns back on. You can release the side button when the Apple logo appears.
Mine was stuck on mail and nothing I did could restart the phone. Then I saw Siri was enabled and asked to open several apps. She always replied "Sorry, I couldn't open xxxx". When I asked for the zillionth time, the iPhone crashed... and rebooted itself. And now it looks like nothing happened.
HELP!!! I woke up this morning and I can't restart or interact with any of my apps. When I open an app it just crashes. I also have tried to force reset.
I'm having the same trouble this morning since waking up. How long am I supposed to have to hold the side button?
Im having the same problem and i tried what you said but its still not working. Please help!
Also when i tried to force restart it only shows siri
Thanks for the tip!

For the new shutdown sequence, you have to do it super fast. Like a video game controller -- up - down - [hold] power button and boom. Press buttons quickly in succession.
I am going through the same thing currently. I am looking on the interest for answers but I can’t find anything to help other than draining my battery. I’m using my other phone right now which has the update but it hasn’t seemed to do this. But I can launch and apps nor see who’s calling me. You’d think to restart the phone but you can’t do that and you can’t tell Siri do to it either. Kinda sucks.
My iPad has completely died on me after I installed the IOS14 update. I tried to restart my iPad because it froze and then now it wont turn on at all. I've tried to connect it to my pc and try to access the hard drive but I cant allow it because the iPad wont turn on. The battery is not dead and the only solution that i can find so far is to bring it to an apple store or BestBuy so I can get the update uninstalled or idk.
I had all of the same issues with my iPhone XS. I did the new sequence of up volume, down volume then start button, it didn’t work, then I did as suggested by another poster and did it fast, it worked YAY! Thank you ❤️
I have a iPhone 8 Plus and my battery percentage was in the 60’s I downloaded the version 14.5 I think it was a week ago and was wondering if anyone knew if that could have caused this or anyone with any advice other than paying a ton of money