Video Playback Material in RealityComposer?

At WWDC'20 last week, Apple indicated new support for applying video as materials on AR objects.

In the latest RealityComposer beta, cannot find an option under Materials to associate a video with an object and this seems like it would preclude using video on objects in RealityFiles played with ARQuickLook.

Are we "holding it wrong" or should we avoid ARQuickLook and directly call RealityKit/ARKit to utilize this feature?
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of shapetables Down vote post of shapetables
2.4k views

Replies

Great question, also I cannot see any option to import flat images into the Composer, is it missing yet, or I just can't find it?
Great question.... and I totally agree . As AR creators we need video materials incorporated into Reality Composer app and included in USDZ or reality file formats. I’ve been experimenting with video materials in Reality kit and already see huge potential with the feature in creating more captivating AR content.
AdamMax you can import images (including transparent pngs) into Reality Composer app. When working on the Ipad with Reality Composer app. You can drag the photos app or either Safari (split screen configuration) and then drag a photo across from the photo app or web page Safari browser into Reality Composer.
Hi,

The addition of QuickTime as a ‘material’ will offer new potential for RC compositions, but there is much value in using transparency in 2D PNG images has much potential, a transparent or semi transparent PNG can have behaviors applied to it once you’ve assigned the image to the picture frame or document object in the RC ‘add’ section (under Arts- why it’s not labeled better I can’t tell you!)

PNG’s offer transparency for 2D images in RC, but the down side is poor file compression compare to JPEG’s (which compress nicely but do not offer transparency).

i have still not had the courage to upgrade either of my IPP’s to iOS14 yet. I’m certain I will enjoy using some of the new RK and RC features for iOS14, but I am still quite impressed by RC’a abilities in iOS13.x. It is hands down the most capable and easiest to use of any 3D (much less AR) app on iOS that I have used in the past 3-5 years.I prefer doing content creation all on the iOS side of the fence. It fits my ‘Goldilocks’ zone for being productive as a ‘device’.

I’ve certainly learned a great deal about RC by ‘experimenting’, but you may find that a useful strategy is to have a specific ‘scene’ or RC ‘composition’ In mind when testing specific features in RC.

in the WWDC RC Demi of QT as a material, one of the things I took away from that session was that it might pay to keep QT segments short, and sized appropriately for the object which they will be applied to. The fly in the demo was pretty tiny, so I don’t think we will be putting 640x480 QT movies on anything just yet. Even as it stands, it’s a rich feature in a very capable and friendly tool.

best,

larry ‘Catfish’ Kuhn
Would love to see .mov files to import into Frames like it works with pictures like .png or .jpg