iOS 9 beta iCloud backup can't be deleted

I had iOS 9 beta for a little while and my iCloud did a backup, then I downgraded to iOS 8.3 due to bugs, and I wanted to delete my backup for extra storage, but it won't let me do it on any platform (iPhone, Mac). What should I do because I need that storage

Replies

I just have to congratulate Apple on the most cocked up release of an iOS beta ever. With still 250 gb of missing storage from one iCloud account spread out across multiple dev devices, we've disabled iCloud backups on all devices and deleted what backups were listed. The "missing" storage appears to have no resolution with ZERO. Absolutely ZERO response from the dev team other than to note the filed bug report is a duplicate of another similar report.

How about you awesome innovators fix it or provide an ETA and an explanation on the issue at hand?

Sorry guys, I just had to vent. Hope someone at the wealthiest company in the world actually reads these forums.

I have 0 iCloud storage left as well and can't delete backups even on beta 3 (It shows as 0KB). This is ridiculous that we can't even fix the rogue backups ourselves, and there's been zero response to this issue from Apple aside from maybe we'll get lucky and they'll fix it.

Running beta 3. Having this problem on my iPad but not the iPhone (so far); both are running beta 3. (Did not try beta 1 or 2 on either device).

I've got 20GB of icloud storage: 31MB of data, 31MB of mail and a 7.2GB iPhone backup, but it says only 5 GB is free.

Tech support says there are two incomplete 4GB backups (but they say they can't delete them, I'd have had them wip the whol ething if possible, I have backups on the hard drive).

If I look on the preferences on a Mac (or on the web) it says I have 5GB free BUT they say 14.88GB in backups, Mac Prefs when I click to get more details only shows one backup of 7.2GB (contradictory to the previous screen).

The iPad says last backup is 0k. Interestingly, the part that should load and let your turn apps off to be backed up doesn't load them, it just "spins". (otherwise I'd shrink the size of the backups).

I've also thought to upgrade from 20GB to 200GB for the next few months to see if that helps.

I am also running iOS9 Beta 3
using only the free 5 GB for iCloud storage which was sufficent in the past.
now it says that my next back up would be 7.8GB, as so for sure I do not have enough storage...
Biggest Problem; I can't choose the apps anymore that I want to have backed up!

does somebody have any Idea to fix this?

or does somebody else got the same problem?

If I go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > Tap the backup, I see a list of apps which can be turned on or off. Is that missing for you?

ME too. I have about an 18GB backup that I cannot access anymore. Apple support won't help either on account of the iOS 9 I had downloaded.

Just reporting the same issue. I have the iOS9 public beta installed. Taking up most of my iCloud storage from a phantom backup from my phone.

Still having this problem on beta 4. Any solution yet?

I do confirm issue persists with Beta 4 too. I'm losing my hope of recovering my 1.2 gb missing.

What si more frustating is that there isn't any mentions about this issue in any iOS9 beta relesase notes, any words from apple developers despites all the bugs reporters we filled.

I had this issue a day or so ago, and what I did was to directly login to iCloud via my PC, and I found that there was a way to directly delete the obsolete backup from within the browser there. I don't know if this path is still open, but it might be worth a try.

Can you be more specific please... You were able to delete backup from iCloud.com website? Where?!?!

Just wanted to report that I have the same problem as well. I have the 20gb plan and actual iphone backup says 5gb and icloud photo library takes up 4gb. My iPad won't back up because it says not enough storage. When I look on icloud.com or on system preferences on my Mac, it says 9gb used for documents and data. I called apple about this and they said those were backups. My confusion is the fact that it shows its under documents, granted I don't see them. I'm worried that even though apple fixes this, I want be able to fix kine because it's not in the backup portion of my icloud in the first place. Is anyone else in the same boat?

I had this issue as well. I had the 20 GB plan and over 16 GB was being used for backups. But when I went to manage my iCloud storage, it only shows 3+ GB of backups for my iPhone. I ended up filing a radar and buying in on the 200 GB per month plan because I haven't had any updates on my radar and was worried I could lose some data or maybe not have some things backed up. Now I can't even backup my iPhone to iCloud at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have the exact same problem. I bought the 20GB plan yesterday just to get things backed up, but I still am having problems with getting my iPad backed up as well. It seems both my iPhone and iPad have phantom backups that I can't see, even after my iPhone did a successful backup yesterday.

I too am worried if we will be able to delete these phantom backup files once the OS issue is fixed. Apple Support told me on the phone that they don't have the permissions to delete these files on our behalf. So even after iOS9 is fixed, I'm worried that we will still be plagued by these hidden files.