iOS 9 beta iCloud backup can't be deleted

I had iOS 9 beta for a little while and my iCloud did a backup, then I downgraded to iOS 8.3 due to bugs, and I wanted to delete my backup for extra storage, but it won't let me do it on any platform (iPhone, Mac). What should I do because I need that storage

Replies

I just loaded iOS 9 Beta 2... seems like the ghost backup still can't can't be deleted and now isn't identified as "this phone" anymore...so it's a real pain on my end.

Has the issue been addressed for others?

Im still having the same issue. Im having phantom backups as well. Everytime I back up I loose 11ish gb of icloud storage. The numbers do not add up ethier. http://imgur.com/nnoCepB

Are any of you paying for additional iCloud storage?

You may find support is more willing to help with this via Apple Care.

I've opened a case with them and had it escalated to 3rd tier engineering on iCloud. After a good discussion with the team I've learned that the data is being pooled from "iCloud Drive" and is not actually in the iCloud Backup partition. Additionally they do not appear to have the tools to resolve or diagnose the issue, however they are going to escalate it further.

I have 1 TB of storage on iCloud which 440.99 GB is being used for Phantom Backups. 94Gb is allocated to two backup files that can't be touched.

I am suspecting permissions issues are causing these anomalies.

Beta 2 didn’t fix it for me either: 1.2 GB of nothing.

http://dl.blue.de/16LI0/2kXWI085

SOLVED IT!! I went to ios 9 beta 2 from 8.3 and I attempted to delete the backup and it gave the same error, and then I downgraded once again to ios 8.3, and I attempted to delete it off of storage and it worked. I went from 8.3 to ios 9 beta 1 to 8.3 to 9.0 beta 2 to 8.3 and deleted the backups!

I solve it also by doing a clean install of beta2 the restoring back to 8.3 and I was able to delete the backup. However I sill have about 18GB of phantom storage that I can not use.

for reference I have 20GB

the the back up I coudnt delete was 1.6GB

BUT iCloud is phantoming 18GB

when I deleted the back up I could delete I got back 1.6 of storage instead of the 18GB

My total storage still show the incorrect I have now 1.7GB out of 20GB after i deleted all my back ups

It's still a start considering yesterday I had 1.0MB out of 20GB, and I was finally able to delete that back up I could not from June 11th.

I Will keep you updated on the Phontom storage issue.

once again I was able to get the backup deleted and I got back that total of storage added

No need to upgrade to IOS 9 Beta 2 and downgrade.

I just went and deleted the old backup from my mac -> System Preferenced -> iCloud.

Must have fixed something on the iCloud server.

i was also able to delete mine al of the sudden last night after not being able to.

I Have not tried to preform another backup yet though, anyone try yet?

1. Can't remove iCloud backup after update to iOS 9 - both from the device and from OS X.

2. Every backup decreases free space in the iCloud account. And it can't be cleaned up because the previous backups a re invisible.

How can I fix the issues? Who can help with it? I have no space in iCloud and can't use my devices!

I was able to delete it just now as well after previously having had issues. I filed a Radar yesterday and Apple asked me for my Apple ID. They haven't responded after that but my issue is now resolved.

It's only half fixed. It's now possible to delete all the visible backups, but the "phantom" backups that were consumed additional space are still there. I currently have no backups displayed, but I am "using" 2.17GB of backup space.

Bug report # 21553792

Same thing!

Just deleted my backup from iCloud panel on Mac, but I still have 11gb of phantom backups, and I can't see them anywhere.

Funny thing: after deleting backup iPhone shows me that last backup was 20 days ago. So, it is available, but not accessible.

Same issue here: iPhone 6 plus updated to beta2 and tried to delete the backup(s). Obviously that worked because I don't see any Backups on the phone's iCloud settings. But if I look from the webpage or my Mac into the usage there are 0KB used fpr Backups but the gauge shows 6,63GB used for backups. Annoying! I'd like to get back my space.

EDIT: after one week still no change 😠, hopefully Apple will correct this with beta 3

I was just able to delete the backup on my Mac (10.10.4) via System Preferences. I was unsuccessful for the last few weeks. Interestingly, Apple just closed my bug saying it was a duplicate. I don't have phantom space either. Maybe it is fixed?!

Unfortunately I cannot confirm this. On my Mac with 10.10.4 (14E46) in the iCloud settings I see the bar at the bottom and it says 6,63 GB used for backups. When I click on "Manage" I see a lot apps with the used memory but "Backups" is at the end of the list with 0KB. In the right-hand pane there is no backup I can delete.