iPhone 6 clock time offset

I'm not sure yet if this is a bug in iOS 9 or other issue. The clock on my Verizon iPhone 6 is fast by about 2 minutes.

Other iPhones in the house have accurate time, but this one which has the iOS9 beta has the 2 minute offset.

Tried setting manually and then set back to auto, and it then goes back to the 2 minutes fast time. Tried resetting

network settings, no change. Tried setting to Airplane mode to turn off cellular (for just WiFi connection) and back on, no change.

Is this something with Verizon time server or an iOS issue?

Carl

Replies

I think you're right about the server timestamp. I manually set the clock way off, then asked Siri to set the alarm 30 minutes from now. It was still set to 30 minutes from the correct time. So I guess that isn't it! :-) I'm backing up my phone to do a complete restore today to see if it solves the problem.

It's totally, 100% okay to file duplicate bugs and is actually strongly encouraged—they use duplicate bug reports as a way of gauging the severity of the problem. If only one person reports a bug, it's a lot less of a priority than if 500 people report it.

NTP algorithms aren't supposed to snap your clock back or forward to NTP server time. They are supposed to gradually speed up or slow down the clock in small increments/decrements, by adjusting +/-, say, a few milliseconds per second, so that newly created files or other objects don't get timestamped earlier than older, existing objects. If your clock is way out of sync, it won't snap immediately.

Timestamping backwards is more complicated than going forwards, obviously. But things like timers shouldn't expire prematurely, either. Imagine a 20 minute timer triggering after only 18 minutes, because the clock snapped forward, or taking 22 minutes, because the clock was snapped backwards.

Having said all this, I don't know if iOS's algorithms are implemented properly.

It's fixed! Made a backup in iTunes, downloaded the 9.0.1 IPSW file from Apple, installed it from iTunes, restored the backup . . . the time is correct! Hope this helps somebody.

I'm new here, where do I file a bug report?

bugreport.apple.com

I've been experiencing this issue on my 5S on Verizon's network with iOS 9.0.1.

I've upgraded to iOS 9.1 Beta 2. This seems to have resolved my clock issue. In my case, my clock was fast by 2 minutes. I'm surprised that two-factor authentication was still functioning.

I just wanted to post to say that this had been an issue for me for as long as I can remember on iOS 9 betas. It seems to have been resolved on 9.1 Beta 2 - now about to install Beta 3 so fingers crossed it stays fixed! I was also 2 minutes fast but on Three in the UK. I found a good little tool to check: https://time.is - it will synchronise with your device's clock and tell you how accurate it is. My 6S Plus is currently exact - well, 0.075 seconds fast give or take 0.086 seconds but I can live with that lol

Several users in Japan, including me, had been experiencing the same issue.

9.0.1 didn't solve it, but 9.0.2 does.

My iPhone 5s has been in sync within 0.1s (checked on time.is) since I updated it to 9.0.2 on the release day.

I can confirm that iOS 9.0.2 fixes the issue for me as well. Pity Apple didn't include any mention in the public release notes, but at least it appears to have been addressed.

Hey everyone, I'm experiencing the same type of problem, but a lot worse... My clock keeps changing its time zone to "Etc/GMT", giving out the wrong time by miles! My standard time zone is Adelaide, Australia. I've tried turning the phone off/on, but haven't tried doing a factory reset. I've been on my phone all day and this must have only happened in the last hour or so! Any thoughts? I have changed my settings to manually set my time for now so I can use it as an alarm in the morning... But it is very inconvenient to not be able to set your phone so that it automatically adjusts the time, especially with daylight savings!

Hey Elij07 My phone and my daughters phone did this exact same thing this morning.. Apple said its our mobile phone carrier who caused the problem. We are with Optus, I really hope it doesn't happen again as our alarms didn't go off this morning due this happening.

My phone did this as well and it affected my apple watch. I clicked “set automatically” in time settings and it fixed the problem.