iPhone 6 clock time offset

I'm not sure yet if this is a bug in iOS 9 or other issue. The clock on my Verizon iPhone 6 is fast by about 2 minutes.

Other iPhones in the house have accurate time, but this one which has the iOS9 beta has the 2 minute offset.

Tried setting manually and then set back to auto, and it then goes back to the 2 minutes fast time. Tried resetting

network settings, no change. Tried setting to Airplane mode to turn off cellular (for just WiFi connection) and back on, no change.

Is this something with Verizon time server or an iOS issue?

Carl

Replies

I saw similar drifting of the clock on my iPhone 5s after upgrading to iOS 9 (operator Saunalahti/Elisa FI), and filed a bug report on it too. It might depend on whether an Apple Watch is paired to the phone, but I am not sure. All people I checked with had either iOS 9 with a watch paired, or then iOS 9.1 without a watch paired, and none of them had the same problem.

In my case it drifts by about 2 - 3 s per day (it's currently running 10 s fast).

Turning automatic time update off and on didn't help.

I'm having the same issue with an iPad Air running the 9.1 public beta. The iPad's clock is running 21 seconds fast, with an active AT&T cellular connection. None of the suggested troubleshooting tips have made a difference. My iPhone running the same os and also on AT&T, and my MacBook running OSX 10.10 are in perfect sync.

I can't say with certainty whether or not this began with the installation of 9.1. The giveaway has been various alarms going off early in the iPad versus every other device.

Just realized I have this same issue. And I always thought the time was synced from an NTP server, not the carrier's.

The ticket that I opened in Bug Reporter says that it's a duplicate of your issue. Have you gotten a response from Apple?

Same.

iPad Air 2, Verizon. Two minutes fast.

I have this same problem. iPhone 6 on iOS 9.0.1 after trying the 9.0 public beta. Clock appears two minutes fast. I say "appears" because when I ask Siri to "Wake me 30 minutes from now", the iPhone creates an alarm 30 minutes from the correct time, not the time it displays in the status bar at the top. So the iPhone appears to know the correct time, it is just displaying two minutes too fast. Hope this info is at least interesting if not helpful.

Based on what I've found, I'm going to try an erase and restore as soon as I have time. Cheers.

Same issue here iOS 9.0.1 on iPhone 6 (UK - O2)

Hmm. Others have posted here that third-party apps that display the time are getting the wrong information, indicating a deeper-down problem. But based on what you noticed, perhaps it's a bug with the date formatting code.

It could be that Siri is getting the timestamp for the alarm from the server.

We're having issues with users not being able to authenticate with Google Authenticator (TOTP) because their clock is off. One user reported that she turned off the "auto" setting, corrected the time, and then time was wrong again after turned "auto" back on. (I had her look at http://time.gov for a reference.)

i did wipe/restore on mt iPad Air 2 running IOS 9.1 PB1 and the time offset was corrected but only temporarily. The clock has been gaining about 0.1 sec / hr since then. iPhone 6 running IOS 9.1 PB 1 does not have this problem. I installed IOS 9.1 PB2 today with no apparent change in symptoms.

Exact same issue here on my 5S with 9.0.1 official.

I first noticed this morning against my Verizon Settop box time. I ran the Emerals and Sequoia Time app that compares signals from 4 NTP servers and displays the time offset against the phone's internal clock. I'm running 9.0.1 public, so if there was an earlier problem, I didn't notice it. The phone is running about 40 seconds fast and while not super critical - it is very annoying and based on the threads, doesn't appear to matter what carrier you use (I'm on ATT).

I too am using the Time app from Emerald &Sequoia and my iPhone 6 is about 33 sec fast. I was so pleasantly surprised when time keeping tightened up in preparation for the watch, but this bug and the fact it doesn't appear to be fixed in 9.1 is really discouraging.

My iPhone 6 Plus is 46 seconds fast, which screws up 2FA Google Authentication. Running on Fido in Canada. Tried everything, except a restore, which I don't want to do because I have the iPhone 6S Plus coming in a few weeks. Definitely a bug. iPad Air and Mac's are on the right real time.

I'm now up to 4 minutes and 45 seconds fast on my iPhone 5S running 9.0.1. I noticed a couple of weeks ago it was a minute or so off. I set the time to manual (within about 20 seconds as I couldn't find a way to reset seconds) and then it creeped back up to 2 minutes again after about a week, still on manual.

Is it recommended to file duplicate bugs?