iPhone 6 clock time offset

I'm not sure yet if this is a bug in iOS 9 or other issue. The clock on my Verizon iPhone 6 is fast by about 2 minutes.

Other iPhones in the house have accurate time, but this one which has the iOS9 beta has the 2 minute offset.

Tried setting manually and then set back to auto, and it then goes back to the 2 minutes fast time. Tried resetting

network settings, no change. Tried setting to Airplane mode to turn off cellular (for just WiFi connection) and back on, no change.

Is this something with Verizon time server or an iOS issue?

Carl

Replies

Guys I have to reiterate, this problem is not exclusive to iPhones. I have the exact same problem with my iPad Air 2. It is wifi only and I have been having this problem since iOS 9 beta 5.

FYI, Upgrade to Beta 9.1 on sunday and problem, so looks like a bug in 9. Whatg the URL for the bug report please.

The Apple Bug Reporter is available here: bugreport.apple.com

Same here. iOS9 GM / Belgium / Proximus.

I'd be interested to know if the timestamp you record programmatically is the same that is displayed on the screen. Is the time skewed when accessed in NSDate objects or ctime calls?

I have the same problem with the 2 minute difference. I have noticed when making a post through the phone it will display 2 minutes earlier then what my phone shows as the time at the top, indicating that the phone is fast.

My question is really: is this just a simple timestamp formatting issue, or is the internal clock actually skewed?

CSM's post from a few days ago should answer your question:

...the main iPhone clock at top center of screen is off, and all other clock apps that I tried show the same time as the main iPhone clock...

I'm having the same problem with the time being about 2 minutes slow. I updated to the 9.1 Beta and that still didn't resolve the issue. I did open a ticket using the Feedback App, but I never got a response to my other messages so I'm not terribly hopeful. This wreaks havok with any time-based operations like 2-factor auth.

Wait—yours is 2 minutes slow? Everyone else said they were two minutes fast. Interesting…

I have the same issue on 5s with iOS 9b5. And this is very painful sinc I have to wait 2 minutes before hitting enter while using MFA.

It has to be a bug in the code.

Here is the test I made:
- turned off automatic time sync and changed clock

- rebooted iPhone - time stayed as I set it

- tuned on time sync (AT&T) and phone clock jumpled to the current time + a bit less than 2 minutes

iPhone sets clock that current time + 2 minutes every time NTP is enabled.

That time difference is incresing - is was about a minute a week ago and is close to 2 minutes now. Wonder if that is sometype of beta kill switch that is not working properly...

I can confirm that for me, disabling Set Automatically in Date & Time "resolves" the issue. Specifically, Disabling "Set Automatically" in Date & Time causes the time to jump back to the correct time within a few seconds. Enabling it causes the time displayed to jump forward 2 minutes. BTW according to this technote iOS is getting the time from the cellular provider: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203483 . But it's clearly not just a provider issue because there are lots of providers listed in this thread (I'm using an iPhone 6 64GB on AT&T).

I say "resolves" above because of course it's not really resolved because now the time on my device will drift.

I have an iPad Air 2 (only wifi) no cellular provider. Where is my time being synced with? As I've stated before in this thread I too am experiencing the same time effect as others are with iPhones.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the issue was specific to devices with radios or that you weren't experiening the issue. Clearly for devices without cellular radios the time is comming from somewhere else (e.g. an NTP server).

In any event, after upgrading to the released 9.0 (which is different than GM) I no longer have the issue even after turning automatic time sync back on.

Excellent thank you!!! I will update my devices and report back shortly if I continue to have the same issue.