Guideline 5.2.2 - Legal

I build an app using the official Zoom SDK with the intention to publish it in the Apple App Store for iOS.

Apple rejected the app saying:

Guideline 5.2.2 - Legal

Although Zoom Video Communications, Inc. may allow the general public to use their service, we still require the documentary evidence that you have all the necessary rights or permissions to request, display, or distribute account information in your application.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please attach documentary evidence in the App Review Information section in App Store Connect. In accordance with section 3.2(f) of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement, you acknowledge that submitting falsified or fraudulent documentation can result in the termination of your Apple Developer Program account and the removal of your apps from the App Store. Once Legal has reviewed your documentation and confirms its validity, we will proceed with the review of your app.

I want to work with them to get this app published and I want to avoid endless feedback a review looks. And so replied in the resoltuin center that I don't understand how I can comply and who shall I ask for what written permission. I suggested that we could have a brief phone call. So far I'm waiting for Apple's reaction...

From what I understand Apple wants me to go to Zoom to ask for written permission to use their SDK. Am I correct? (Imagine every developer that uses some publicly available SDK has to ask the publisher for written permission 😕 ). Or what exact steps are required to get this resolved?

Thanks

Thomas

Apple is not asking for permission to use an SDK. Generally Apple assumes that any SDK you manage to acquire, you have rights to use. The only exception is GPL-licensed software which Apple knows is not compatible with Apple's App Stores.

However, Zoom is also a service. That is different. You need some kind of agreement with Zoom to use their service. As that is a paid service, you should have said documentation.

Apple wants you to go to Zoom to get written permission "to request, display, or distribute account information". Apple believes this information, not the SDK, may be proprietary to Zoom. It is possible that Zoom has on their website a policy stating what the public (you) can do regarding such information (and the SDK) and you could copy that website and send it - but I suspect what they have is 'you can't do what you are doing'.

One thing you could try is to have your app reviewed by an intellectual property attorney and have them issue an opinion on what you are doing. If the account information is actually coming from the Zoom user, not Zoom, it is possible that there are no intellectual property issues. And the attorney can tell you why your app is, or is not, violating Zoom's rights or terms.

It is also possible that App Review imprecisely stated their objection by limiting it to 'account information'. It is possible that your app is interacting with the Zoom service in a manner that Zoom might not approve and might violate Zoom's copyright or trademarks or terms of service. For example, an app that places Zoom's front facing interface in the background, parses their display and shows only certain images may be unacceptable to Zoom. After all, Zoom put a lot of effort into developing their platform; what right do you have to freely incorporate it into yours?

From the ZOOM SDK Install support pages...

-=-

After you unzipped your downloaded file, you should have the following files:

├── CHANGELOG.md
├── LICENSE.md
├── [MobileRTCSample] <- Examples are inside.
├── README.md ├── [lib] <- Libraries are inside.
└── version.txt
-=-

I suggest you read both .md files, specifically LICENSE.md, paying strict attention to any wording involving your right(s) to use their SDK. 

There may be something in one of them that you need to forward to app review.

Feel free to contact ZOOM support if you need clarification.

Good luck.

Hello tmiskiew,

Did you managed to pass the review with your app? I have a similar issue (with another third-party service) and trying to get through this review rejection reason.
Guideline 5.2.2 - Legal

Q