How can I prove I own an app I made myself?

I'm having problems with app review. First they claimed I used some kind of code generator. This is not true, I coded it myself in Xcode and could prove it with the project. Then they claimed that I made the app for a client and that it needs to be submitted from the client's account. This is not true, I made it by myself for myself. There is no client, just me. Now they say I need to submit legal documentation proving I own the app. I'm not sure what I can provide. I just made the app myself and put it on the app store. It's been there for years. It's not like I signed a contract with myseld or anything that would result in a legal document. I just made the app. The thing is, this is the situation for all my apps which I now fear will be rejected for the same reason. Has anyone else had this problem? What possible legal document could I produce?

Replies

You give no context of the app itself, so we can just guess.

There is no way to prove it, unless you have deposited the code for some copyright in the past (which is very unlikely reading the context).

So I understand that was an update of an existing app ?

Or is it the same app with a different name, which could explain the problem.

What type of app is it ? A game ? If it is a technical app with custom algorithm, may be you could show handwritten docs were you designed the algorithm ?

You say it's an app by you for you. So why put it on the appstore ?

"So I understand that was an update of an existing app ?"

Yes, it's an update of an app that has been on the store for years.

"What type of app is it ?"

It's a walking tour quide.

"You say it's an app by you for you. So why put it on the appstore ?"

I made it myself. It was not made for a client as they claim. I put it on the app store to sell it.

It sounds like something about your app is using trademarks owned by someone else. It doesn't matter if you have used those terms for years or even if they are your own name. If a corporation owns the trademark, it is the corporation's property, not yours. Given that corporations have more money and lawyers than you do, you will have to accomodate them.

>' It was not made for a client as they claim'......'Now they say I need to submit legal documentation proving I own the app.'

I see from the back-and-forth below (above?) that it may be unclear exactly what App Review is 'saying'. Please quote them in full to get a more precise answer.

I'm not sure it's about a trademark. I am happy to change the app's name or logo or whatever if so. They are claiming the entire app was made for a non-existant client and to provide non-existant documentation showing the relationship between me and the non-existant client. There are no documents. I just made the app myself. How to prove the absence of a negative?

We noticed that your app was created from an app generation service or a commercialized template, but does not appear to be directly submitted by the owner or provider of the business, brand, or service.

To resolve this issue, this app must be submitted by the owner of the business or organization for which the app has been designed under its own Apple Developer Program account. Alternatively, you may provide documentation that shows your ownership of the business or organization for which the app is designed.

Please note that providing documentation of your rights to include third-party content within your app does not suffice.

In accordance with section 3.2(f) of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement, you acknowledge that submitting falsified or fraudulent documentation can result in the termination of your Apple Developer Program account and the removal of your apps from the App Store. Once Legal has reviewed your documentation and confirms its validity, we will proceed with the review of your app.

------

Thank you for your response. To help us proceed with the review of your app, please provide documentation demonstrating ownership of the business or organization/app. The documentation you submit should include the following information:

- You/your company's name

- Ownership between [My Company] and [App Name]

- The document should be signed and dated

- Details explaining the developer's affiliation with the business/entity/app

Please provide appropriate documentation showing ownership of the business or organization/app, or submit the app under the account of the client for which the app was designed.

We see that verbiage often enough here - it isn't about proving you own the app. It is about proving you have ownership rights to the content/company~product names/trademarks etc. used in the app.

Review has the impression you are making the app for someone else, and using your account to put their app in the store, which is prohibited under the dev agreement.

If the content, app name, etc. are yours, you need to provide documentation showing ownership of that content. If you are using various content from other legal owners inside -your- app, you need to provide documentation that shows you have permission from the owners. If the owners simply asked you to make an app, again, that isn't allowed and they need to have their own dev account. That account would be used to upload the app to the store. In those examples, you/the dev can work as a 'consultant' for the account owner and help them to get their app in the store under their account.

Using an app builder/template is another question, perhaps triggered by other same-only-different apps you've uploaded in the store...how many apps do you have in the store already?

It can also be triggered by certain attributes that are uncovered when the app is uploaded and scanned by automatic checks. Either way, my opinion is that once your account has been flagged for this, it is hard to continue to put apps in the store. If this comes as a surprise and you know your apps are native, original by your hand and not using 3rd party tools to make cookie cutter apps, you may need to appeal on that basis and have a direct conversation with review in the hope of convincing them differently.

Good luck with both issues in any case.

So their suggestion is:

> To resolve this issue, this app must be submitted by the owner of the business or organization for which the app has been designed under its own Apple Developer Program account. Alternatively, you may provide documentation that shows your ownership of the business or organization for which the app is designed.

Please note that providing documentation of your rights to include third-party content within your app does not suffice.

You have two issues here:

1) Do you have the rights to present all copyrighted and trademarked terms in your app - for example if your app included the logo for The Grounds For Sculpture under a list of suggested sculpture gardens it might be violating the trademark rights of The Grounds For Sculpture. If it quoted extensively from someone else's writings you might be violating their copyright to that work.

2) Does it appear that your app is the product of some corporate entity like Gulliver's Travels?

In both cases, assuming it is true, you could send App Review something like:

"I am the sole owner of Gulliver's Travels and am publishing this app under my personal account [because you have refused to allow me to register as an LLC corporation]. I own the trademark rights to "Go With Gulliver" and "Drink Gulliver". They are not registered trademarks so no documentation is available. All trademarks displayed in the app are in the ***** domain. I have used no copyrighted works in the app. If there are any concerns you have over specific images or phrases or corproate entities please indicate those images or phrases or corporate entities so that I might address them directly."

Good luck.

That is the most common explanation. None of us here know anything about your app. All we have to go on are the endless cases of other developer complaining that Apple won't let them use some obviously trademarked name. Is your case different than all of those? Maybe. No way for us to tell. There is certainly no shortage of people making and releasing their own apps on the app store. Why is your app different? That's the question.

You need to submit some paperwork to the App Review Board that proves that you are the content owner. Oftentimes, when you create your own Developer Account, you do it as an Individual and your name is shown as the owner of the account. Apple needs paperwork that shows your name and the name of the your app to prove that you own the rights to that name and content.

For more information and a list of acceptable documents, visit this Frequently Asked Question: https://www.bvmobileapps.com/support/apple-rejected-my-app-what-should-i-do/