How to Render Glass in RealityKit / RealityComposer

When importing a usdz asset that has a glass material, realitykit doesn't render it properly. Anyone know if this is a known issue?

Note: the original asset was in .obj format and was converted using the Apple provided usdzconvert tool.

Replies

You will have to use the USDZ tools here:https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=USDPython. Then use the tool fixOpacity. I modified my 'USD.command' file to point to my working folder. This tool is necessary to fix any usdz files created in the usdz tool in xcode. Unknown if this has been corrected in xCode 11b5 version of usdz tools. But these tools are more robust and allow converting gltf and glb files which makes it easy if you are going from Blender 2.8. There is also an FBX import as well but you will be assigning material textures here as you have to with OBJ.
Here is a link to a video file using this usdz tool and Scene Composer. Sadly Scene Composer does not do a good job translating USDZ files like SceneKit or RealityKIt using Xcode. Hopefully they will fix this soon and add particle effects.

Reality Composer fiile in Quick Looks

Same USZD file (Ascent Stage) in the above Reality Composer file brought into Quick Looks

Reality Composer just hit us 6-20-20 with new content; including a few ‘glass’ objects in a variety of shapes; test tubes, beakers, flasks,and more.

in my own efforts to ‘find out where the Glass Factory was?’, I ended up using SceneKit to create a few items (exported as >USDZ).
it worked well enough, but I prefer doing all my ‘content creation’ in Reality Composer (because I can use Pencil2-which offers the best control of any styli device I’ve user used in the past 35 years)

I hope Apple folds some of the PBR aspects of SceneKit into Reality (kit and composer) in coming months. SceneKit has many usable features but they need the ‘interface makeover’ by Artists to make them as accessible as features found in RC. I hope that’s where we’re headed. Going back and forth between SceneKit and RC is a bit cumbersome, but you can make glass objects in SceneKit and export them as .usdz files to incorporate into RC scenes Nd projects.

Object ’transparancy’ sliders would be high on my list of improvements for RC.

catfish