Duplicate App and Rebranding

Hi everyone, currently I have an app in the store and it is working without problem, my client wants to duplicate the app and change its name and logo. The idea is to keep both apps in the store at the same time, but with different names.

Are there any guidelines that mention which are the rules to duplicate my own app in the store? is there any risk to get an app rejection of iTunes store?

I read the guidelines, specifically the rule 4.2.6, but I do not know exactly if there is a problem being the owner of the duplicate app.

I hope you can help me.

Replies

>Are there any guidelines that mention which are the rules to duplicate my own app in the store?

I think you meant 'duplicate -an- app'... If you duplicated your own app in the store, both would be your apps.

>if there is a problem being the owner of the duplicate app.

What does that have to do with your client wanting their version of your app? You can't be the owner of both if one of them belongs to your client...

If your app and their app look and perform sufficiently different from each other, my opinion is that there may be a chance app review would allow them both, but as always, only app review knows. So the answer is 'it depends'.

With two apps having the same functionality but different branding, you're more likely to have problems with 4.3 (Spam). Apple has been pretty rigorous enforcing that rule over the past few years.

Thanks for your answer Chuck. I'm going to read a little more about the general guidelines and I'll take a decision.

The issue, as noted above, is Spam. You can add features to the 'new' app, inform App Review that these features enhance the app and it is your intent to stop promoting the 'old' app and remove it from sale at some point in the future. But you will need a reason why you are not just updating the old app and bringing current users into the new branded environment.

Hi there - how did this end up working out for you? Wondering the same; we want to version out our IOS app by rebranding the same app for clients. Is the only option private distribution via App store?
I had the same question. If a business likes an app but wants their customers to have a branded experience and see their app in the App Store (or at least show their icon on the user's phone), why is there no other way than creating a clone of the app and re-submitting it? Any other recommendations?