App rejected due to guideline 3.2.2

My app review got rejected because of below reason:

'we noticed that your app incentivizes referrals in order to sign up new users. While rewarding the invitation sender with points or other digital content is acceptable, the person receiving the invitation should not receive any rewards for downloading or registering an account to use your app. Incentivizing downloads has a direct influence on the App Store user reviews or chart ranking.'

Mine is an MMO card gaming app. To promote the game I provide each user a unique referral code which they can share with others. When other user redeems that code, both referrer and referree get bonus points. My code can be shared with existing players only. i.e. you must have downloaded the app first and then try to redeem the points.

I saw most of the competition app as well as many other (e.g. uber) use the same model where both sender and receiver bonus points. and this is a very standard and fundamental model of marketing.

Any suggestions on how to get around this issue please?

Thanks,

Mihir

Appeal pointing out that what the reviewer said:

> 'we noticed that your app incentivizes referrals in order to sign up new users....... Incentivizing downloads has a direct influence on the App Store user reviews or chart ranking.'

is not correct because, as you wrote:

> "My code can be shared with existing players only. i.e. you must have downloaded the app first and then try to redeem the points"

But I think what you are trying to do may still be a violation of guideline 3.1.1 "If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase. Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality, such as license keys, augmented reality markers, QR codes, etc.....Apps should not directly or indirectly enable gifting of in-app purchase content, features, or consumable items to others."

Thanks PBK.

I am re-submitting binry with any apparent removal to 'referral' word in the promotion code window. I will update with the outcome.

About 3.1.1, I agree. I am just wondering that plenty of other games will be in similar violations. It is strange Apple is blocking the most fundamental marketing approach and that too selectively only for a few games.

Thanks,

Mihir

My app is also rejected due to this issue.please help me

Any conclusions on this though our app does not incentivize on download of the app. But only on subscription the app is rejected with the below statement :

However by providing a bonus or reward to the referee, even if only when they subscribe to the app, we still consider this as incentivised referral and therefore not complaint.

When it comes to referrals, only the user referring should receive the bonus once that user signs up to the app.

We look forward to reviewing your resubmitted app.

Hello,

I am also facing the same issue as pasted below. Can someone clarify exactly which clause in the App Store Guidline is this violating? I reviewd the Unacceptable section but could not find anything specific to this.

Message from Apple:

We noticed that your app incentivizes referrals in order to sign up new users. While rewarding the invitation sender with points or other digital content is acceptable, the person receiving the invitation should not receive any rewards for downloading or registering an account to use your app.

Incentivizing downloads has a direct influence on the App Store user reviews or chart ranking.

I came across the same issue so have created a SaaS solution which navigates the guidelines carefully and helps you achieve this without violation.

Insert Affiliate, which is now live and we are inviting up to 10 early users to our exclusive private beta!

Here you’ll be able to:

Drive sales for your in-app purchases with your new affiliate program.

• Increase your brand exposure through your affiliates without any risky upfront costs.
  • Nurture trust with your affiliates by operating with complete transparency.
  • We are offering an early bird pricing discount until the 30th November for these first 10 users.

Due to the restrictions of the forums I'm unable to post a walkthrough but it can be found at our website - https://insertaffiliate.com

@Krrish If you're still facing issues with incentivizing referrals, you might want to look into GoMarketMe. It allows you to implement referral programs that comply with Apple's guidelines. It’s designed to ensure app promotions follow the rules without impacting rankings or reviews. Might be a solution for your MMO card game’s referral strategy.

App rejected due to guideline 3.2.2

Q