12 Replies
      Latest reply on Jul 31, 2018 5:05 AM by Macho Man Randy Savage
      flarosa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Will Apple continue to support it, or will we wake up one day to find that Swift is the only viable language?

It's a serious question. Careers depend on it. I don't accept the "No comment" approach that Apple usually takes. It's cruel.

I'm willing to put the time into learning Swift if I have to. I'm not going to do it if I don't. I want to know.

Frank

• Re: What is the future of Objective-C?
          QuinceyMorris Level 8 Level 8 (6,050 points)

I don't recall Apple saying "no comment" on this. What I recall them saying is that Obj-C will be fully supported for the foreseable future.

The clang compiler is up-to-date and modern in its design. There are probably not going to be any significant language enhancements, but that's not news — there has not been much in the way of change since Obj-C version 2, which was, what?, 10 years ago? (Well, aside from the changes made for Swift interoperability.)

Aside from that is the obvious point that the vast majority of macOS and iOS code is written in C or Obj-C, and it's unlikely the existing code will ever be re-written in Swift just for the sake of changing languages.

So, if you're comfortable in Obj-C, then there's no need to switch to Swift unless you want to.

NotMyName Level 4 Level 4 (875 points)

"Careers depend on it." 

If you're not willing to continually learn new skills and programming languages, you're not going to have a career.

DIsclaimer:  Old enough to have developed software for the PowerPC macs. 

eskimo Apple Staff Apple Staff (12,425 points)

Another thing to consider is that a lot of the learning curve associated with Apple platforms relates to the frameworks, not the language.  Sure, there are some subtle differences between languages, but most of the code you write interacts with frameworks, and that knowledge is completely transferrable.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
              Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware
              let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

john daniel Level 4 Level 4 (500 points)

Hello flarosa,

You mentioned career, so you are the one that needs to answer that question. As far as the overall developer community is concerned, Objective-C is dead and buried. There are still plenty of people using Objective-C, or course, but they are programming, not blogging, and they generally aren't looking for work. If you are looking for work, or ever plan to in the future, then Swift is the only game in town. Objective-C isn't going to get you past the initial automated and/or HR screens.

Macho Man Randy Savage Level 3 Level 3 (385 points)

The developers who blog often are all in on Swift and every time its popularity gains there are articles published about it. Though it appears that according to TIOBE ObjC came back and is ranked at 10 while Swift is ranked at 11 http: //www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/ and all I heard was crickets. Not sure how accurate that index is.

ObjC developers could be the silent majority but my guess is that they split the community roughly in half. For my own apps I don't think I'd ever choose Swift over ObjC. That's just my opinion though.

helloworldchris Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Obj-C will be supported for a long time.

They can't remove it, because removing it would be stupid.

- Swift is still a beta language.

- Most code out there is written in many versions of c, mostly objectiveC

- if they stop supporting ObjC they'll lose all their apps in the app store, not to mention most of the internal apple code is written in ObjC.

Apple did say they will support it, and have no plans of removing it.  Good to learn all the languages naturally, but be aware swift is still a giant mess.