Varying levels of promo codes based on referral?

All,

I was reading about promo codes and found that they allow a limited amount of free apps.

"Promo codes allow you to offer a free copy of your app or in-app purchase for promotional purposes."

This really doesn't fit my marketing model as I would like to have different codes with different percentage discounts, example; based on promo code from referral from A, the customer would get %x discount, promo code from referral B would get %y discount. etc

Is this possible?

Regards

Replies

No; promo codes can only be those issued by Apple and they are limited in quantity. If that quantity is sufficient, you could construct multiple apps structured as follows:

1) App that costs $0.99 for a lite version and can be upgraded to a full version for $2.99

2) App that costs $1.99 for a lite version and can be upgraded to a full version for $1.99

3) App that costs $3.99 for a full version

A promo code for #3 is a 100% discount.

A promo code for #2 is a 50% discount

A promo code for #1 is a 25% discount

Alternatively you could try out the promo codes for IAPs but I'm not sure they actually exist.

Wouldn't that run afoul of the 4.3 guideline everyone (who makes cookie cutter apps) is complaining about, regarding spamming the store with almost-identical apps?

IAP promo codes do exist and do work. I'm not sure that would help the situation much though. Apple really doesn't seem to encourage arbitrarily charging different people different prices for the same product.

I'm not looking at the Groupon model.

But a social network model of advertising so I'm also interested in the analytics of how they find out about the games, blogger, fb, twitter, etc.

Re: 4.3. They let you launch a few similar apps before shutting you down.

Do you know that promo codes work for IAPs? There were a lot of complaints when they were first 'released'.

I've only ever generated and used one IAP promo code (about a month ago IIRC) but it did work for that one person.

Then if promo codes for IAPs work....

Three levels, no IAP, level A, and level A+B. Level A is not much better than no IAPs but level A+B is the 'pro' version.

IAP 1: $2.99 gives functions A and allows you to purchase IAP 2

IAP 2: $2.99 gives functions B

For $5.98 you get A and B

But here's a promo code for A that will allow you to have A and B for just $2.99, a 50% saving.