MacOS 10.13.2 beta 1, Cisco AnyConnect 4.4.03034, Unable to contact <vpn> No network connectivity

This is a very unsupported environment question since Mac OS 10.13.2 came out in the last day or two and of course is entirely unsupported but no harm in asking or indeed informing others ;-)

I am using AnyConnect 4.4.03034 - I can't change this as I am only an end user ;-)

Whilst at 10.13.1 the vpn works fine, after the update it seems I just see in the GUI

* Unable to contact <MY VPN NAME>

* No network connectivity underneath

This happens with multiple profiles I have, whilst an alternate VPN I have access to, does work ok

From looking at system.log the best I can ascertain is that there may be an issue getting interface information ie:

Nov 2 09:01:32 Nigels-MBP acvpnagent[55]: Function: getInterfacesInternal File: ../../vpn/Common/Utility/NetInterface_unix.cpp Line: 1754 Invoked Function:

ioctl SIOCGIFNETMASK_IN6 Return Code: 1 (0x00000001) Description: unknown errno=Operation not permitted

.. and a few lines in relation to retrieving my profile followed by:

Nov 2 09:01:32 Nigels-MBP acvpnagent[55]: Function: getInterfacesInternal File: ../../vpn/Common/Utility/NetInterface_unix.cpp Line: 1754 Invoked Function: ioctl SIOCGIFNETMASK_IN6 Return Code: 1 (0x00000001) Description: unknown errno=Operation not permitted

Nov 2 09:01:32 Nigels-MBP acvpnagent[55]: Function: processConnectNotification File: ../../vpn/Agent/MainThread.cpp Line: 12277 Invoked Function: CMainThread::resolveSGHost Return Code: -32702438 (0xFE0D001A) Description: MAINTHREAD_ERROR_NO_NETWORK_CONNECTIVITY

Any tips for workarounds welcome. I presume perhaps a permission change? Or an outright MacOS bug in the beta.

Replies

Same problem here (started w/ 10.3.2 - using Cisco AnyConnect 4.5.00058)

I am seeing this as well. Mac OS 10.13.2B1, java 1.8.0_144, netty 4.0.57:

2017-11-02 12:04:32.643 [IPCserver] [] [io.netty.util.NetUtil:165] [WARN] : Failed to retrieve the list of available network interfaces

java.net.SocketException: Operation not permitted (ioctl SIOCGIFNETMASK_IN6 failed)

at java.net.NetworkInterface.getAll(Native Method)

at java.net.NetworkInterface.getNetworkInterfaces(NetworkInterface.java:343)

at io.netty.util.NetUtil.<clinit>(NetUtil.java:154)

at io.netty.channel.socket.DefaultServerSocketChannelConfig.<init>(DefaultServerSocketChannelConfig.java:39)

at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketChannel$NioServerSocketChannelConfig.<init>(NioServerSocketChannel.java:195)

at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketChannel$NioServerSocketChannelConfig.<init>(NioServerSocketChannel.java:193)

at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketChannel.<init>(NioServerSocketChannel.java:87)

at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioServerSocketChannel.<init>(NioServerSocketChannel.java:72)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)

at io.netty.bootstrap.AbstractBootstrap$BootstrapChannelFactory.newChannel(AbstractBootstrap.java:487)

at io.netty.bootstrap.AbstractBootstrap.initAndRegister(AbstractBootstrap.java:311)

at io.netty.bootstrap.AbstractBootstrap.doBind(AbstractBootstrap.java:273)

at io.netty.bootstrap.AbstractBootstrap.bind(AbstractBootstrap.java:269)

at io.netty.bootstrap.AbstractBootstrap.bind(AbstractBootstrap.java:244)

at dna3.IPCServer.run(IPCServer.java:77)

at dna3.IPCProcessing$1.run(IPCProcessing.java:69)

2017-11-02 12:04:32.645 [IPCserver] [] [io.netty.util.NetUtil:201] [WARN] : Failed to find the loopback interface

Same problem here. When the macbook is on wifi connection, anyconnect think it has no network connection at all. But if the macbook is bootup When cinnected to a Wire (LAN) connection ...the anycoonect at least will try to eatablish the VPN ...but it still cannot establish the vpn...and theee is no error message in this case. Need a fix please.

Thanks for reporting this. This has been verified to be a bug in macOS 10.13.2 dev beta 1. Apple is aware of this issue and is working on resolving it for an upcoming dev beta. In the mean time if you need to use AnyConnect you will either need to wait or downgrade back to 10.13.1

Best Regards,

Pete Davis

Cisco Systems, Inc.

ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com

HI

Is there a Fix yet? I really don't want to downgrade and remove the latest beta but if I have to I will. This is my main machine for Work and i am not able to use our AnyConnect client currently.

It currenctly just sits at Establishing VPN - Activating VPN Adaptor and then it goes back to Ready to Connect it never connects.

I have tried to uninstall the client completely and nothing helps. I really need this fixed. Any one have anything that works. My Engineer seems to be stuck with no ideas either.

11/5/17

7:46:21 AM Ready to connect.

7:46:21 AM Contacting La-Z-Boy Inc.

7:46:23 AM Posture Assessment: Required for access

7:46:23 AM Posture Assessment: Checking for updates...

7:46:23 AM Posture Assessment: Initiating...

7:46:28 AM Posture Assessment: Active

7:46:28 AM Posture Assessment: Initiating...

7:46:31 AM User credentials entered.

7:46:33 AM Hostscan is waiting for the next scan

7:47:35 AM Hostscan is performing system scan

7:47:35 AM Hostscan is performing software scan

7:47:35 AM Hostscan state idle

7:47:37 AM Establishing VPN session...

7:47:37 AM The AnyConnect Downloader is performing update checks...

7:47:37 AM Checking for profile updates...

7:47:37 AM Checking for product updates...

7:47:37 AM Checking for customization updates...

7:47:37 AM Performing any required updates...

7:47:37 AM The AnyConnect Downloader updates have been completed.

7:47:37 AM Establishing VPN session...

7:47:37 AM Establishing VPN - Initiating connection...

7:47:38 AM Establishing VPN - Examining system...

7:47:38 AM Establishing VPN - Activating VPN adapter...

7:48:18 AM Disconnect in progress, please wait...

7:48:18 AM The VPN client driver encountered an error. Please restart your computer or device, then try again.

7:48:18 AM AnyConnect was not able to establish a connection to the specified secure gateway. Please try connecting again.

7:48:18 AM Ready to connect.

Thanks for the update Peter. Good to hear the issue is understood and will be addressed (by apple in this case). That's part of the fun of betas ;-)

Any workaround welcome, if not c'est la vie. thanks for posting

Nigel.

Great to see confirmation... alas, the issue is not yet resolved in beta 2.

OpenConnect https://gist.github.com/moklett/3170636 is working fine for me as alternative to AnyConnect to corporate VPN

Openconnect works fine.

If you have Homebrew installed you can use something along the lines of:

brew install openconnect
sudo openconnect URL -c CERT

Yeah I just encountered this for the first time today (while working from home). Disappointed that the 2nd beta didn't fix it. Hope it's in the next one.

it seems to be related to MTU of utun interface. When I tried to dial with AnyConnect, I saw the interface utun4 with MTU 1500, and with OpenConnect, the MTU is correctly set to 1305.

For those of you getting Openconnect to work, is there anything besides 'brew install openconnect' needed to get it working?

After the install, Openconnect complained about a missing vpnc-script file, which I was able to pull down from here - http://www.infradead.org/openconnect/vpnc-script.html

I am successfully connecting, but and can see the routes, but it is still not working for me. The only possible error I see in the output is a missing reference to a file - /etc/nsswitch.confThe connection uses user/pwd auth, and the values I'm entering (group/user/pwd) are correct..

AnyConnect 4.5 was suppose to address the issue, but it still doesn't work on 10.13.2 for me

This appears to be fixed in Beta 3

Beta 3 fixed this for me as well.