Messages and Google Talk

Is anybody else getting an issue with communicating with Messages on Google Talk under Beta 4?

I get the following message:

"Your message could not be sent.

The targeted service Potato has been discontinued"

No, that is not a typo, that is exactly what it says. I even copied and pasted to make sure I was not misreading it. Does this mean that Messags will no longer support third-party chat, and only support iMessage?

If this is in the relase notes somewhere, can someone point me to them?

Replies

Yes I am getting this. No idea why. I can recieve messages but not send them.

Getting the same thing.

Honestly, based on what the interface looks like in System Preferences -> Accounts it looks like Jabber maybe getting removed.

Certainly hope that's not the case...

Same here, I always thought they should have used beets instead of potatoes.

Same here.

I don't think they are removing Jabber support as Apple's on OSX Server usues it. I think it's got more to do with Google dropping support for XXMP in the transition from Chat to Hangouts. Either way, it's a pain.

H

+1, fingers crossed it comes back with the next beta...

+1

I'm getting this same issue too.

It didn't. But it now says Google Talk instead of Potato. I kinda miss Potato.

I have a collegue that went all in with 10.13 in an earlier beta. His Google Talk/Messages account is still working to receive *and* send.

I went in with Beta 6 and can only receive (which is no fun). I can't even apparently remove and attempt to readd it.

Doesn't say "Potato", though...

On a *clean install* 10.13 -- I can add the Google Talk jabber account (if I specify the direct server), but the keychain is not storing my password and I get prompted to reenter the password every time I quit/relaunch Messages.

So it's not clear to me if this is even supposed to still be working or not...

So, does anybody know of a (free?) stand-alone app that works with "Hangouts"?

I'd rather not use the Browser interface for chatting with other Google account users if possible...

This happened to me, too.

I have a 2012 MBP that has been on 10.13 beta since day one. Google Chat still works as it always has via iMessage--send, receive, etc.

I have a 2017 MBP that has been on 10.13 beta since seed 7. I am able to receive, but not send, Google Chat messages via iMessage.

Very strange and frustrating.

The feedback I'm getting from my feedback about this is that Google Talk is "actively being removed" from 10.13 seeds.

I think anybody that went all-in early got lucky that it still works. The rest of us -- no such luck.

I don't think jabber will stop. Under the messages item in the taskbar you can still find 'add jabber account'.

So, the only thing we can do is wait for a future fix?