Time Machine backup fails

Whenever I try to backup with Time Machine to my external hard drive holding all my backups, the backup would fail to start. I opened more info about it, and the error message was that time machine couldn't create the backup folder.

Here's some background info:

• I use 2 drives, which are both made by Seagate and are the exact same model, but in different colors. I use one of the drives for my personal data/documents/pictures, and I use the other drive for all of my time machine backups. There are ZERO other files on my TM drive, and there is only 1 partition, which is used for TM.
  • This problem started when I upgraded to the first PUBLIC BETA of macOS High Sierra (10.13)

This is the notification and error message that I get when I try to start a backup:

I have already tried the following, and none of them have worked:

• Using a new partition on my current time machine drive
  • Using a completely new hard drive for time machine (this drive however did I have some of my own files and documents on it though. I partitioned this new drive, with one partition holding all my stuff and the other for trying time machine with a new drive. I tried formatting that partitiion into both APFS, and Mac OS Extended
  • Deleting "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist" and then rebooting my computer
  • Selecting a new drive to use for time machine via System Preferences and then re-selecting my old drive
  • Using the cable for my personal data drive as the cable for my time machine drive. I know that my personal data drive and it's cable can read/write

I ran accross a thread on the official Apple Discussions page from 2012, which had almost exactly the same problem as I do now. I came accross this post as a possible solution, and I'm wondering if it has any merit. See the below screenshot for the post in question, and here's a link to the actual thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3524877?start=15&tstart=0

I appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks guys!!

~ Capt Inc 37 - July 9, 2017

Accepted Reply

This thread has been deleted

According to the release notes TImeMachine backups have been disabled by Apple for the moment due to a problem, if you click on the options in TimeMachine you’ll see that your MacHD is greyed out meaning TM won’t back it up, this happened as of beta 2 update 1.

I‘m sure it will be fixed as soon as possible because this is a major issue.

Replies

For some reason the screenshots that I attached didn't post the first time, so here's a dropbox link to them, in order from above. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5j7izz8eatis3hy/AAC0ysC8m4r0tFhJmTl-foRTa?dl=0

a) might want to move this to themacOS 10.13 beta forum

b) screenshots are prohibited

I found the same problem; fixed in the latest public beta as of 19 July.

A word of caution... Time machine can't backup to an APFS formatted disk currently.

I found time-machine was going to take a looong time; even tweaking the debug-throttling threads and turning off spotlight. So I thought "maybe its quicker if I change the time-machine backup disk to APFS?"

Whoops.

Now I'm running the High Sierra beta without a backup; as you can't revert an APFS disk!