APFS volume won't mount in 10.12.2

I have an external harddrive with an APFS partition. The partition mounts under 10.12.1 without issue, but will not mount in 10.12.2 dev beta 1.

$ diskutil apfs -IHaveBeenWarnedThatAPFSIsPreReleaseAndThatIMayLoseData list

======================================================================================================
ENUMERATION OF ALL CURRENT APFS OBJECTS
   apfs call: sizeForContainer: err=-69808="Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup"
   apfs call: freeSpaceForContainer: err=-69808="Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup"
|
|-- APFS CONTAINER REFERENCE = disk2s6
---------------------------------------------------------------------

fsck_apfs
can't deal with it either.
$ sudo fsck_apfs disk2s6
** Checking volume.
** Checking the container superblock.
error: nx_incompatible_features has unsupported flags: (0x1)
   Container superblock is invalid.
** The volume disk2s6 could not be verified completely.

I don't see anything in the release notes indicating a disk format change. Anyone know if this is a bug, a known change, or just local to my volume?

Accepted Reply

I received a belated follow-up to the Radar I submitted for this. Apple confirmed that a change in 10.12.2 Developer Beta 5 caused this issue and it was expected. Reformat and carry on is the correct course of action.

Replies

I am seeing exactly the same problem with an external drive. Same information from disktuil and same error message from fsck_apfs, so this is not just local to your volume.

Same issue for me. Started with 10.12.1 beta. I recreated the volume (in 10.12.2) and it seems to be working fine. Obviously, the disclaimer about losing all your data on APFS drives cannot be overstated enough.

Yes, I ended up doing the same thing (recreated the volume in 10.12.3) and it seems to work fine.

I received a belated follow-up to the Radar I submitted for this. Apple confirmed that a change in 10.12.2 Developer Beta 5 caused this issue and it was expected. Reformat and carry on is the correct course of action.