Xcode 8 Storyboard error

I am working on building an app. Earlier I have used Xcode 7.1 at that time everything was working fine. Recently I have installed Xcode 8.0 as well and I have both the setups installed into in two different directories Xcode_7, Xcode_8 and I renamed the setup files as well. Everything was working fine but lately I am getting the following error while working with Xcode 8.

"An internal error occurred. Editing functionality may be limited "

and the storyboard view objects are all gone blank but I am able to click on a specific view and still can see their properties defined through attributes inspector but nothing shows up in storyboard still I am able to build the project successfully but while loading it in simulator it says

Unable to boot the iOS simulator

I have followed few tips like reinstalling the Xcode , trashing the derived data from preferences. Nothing helped so far. Please let me know if anyone resolved this issue.😐

Accepted Reply

It cost my a lot of time to find a solution. Finally I fixed it by close the Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan SIP(System Integrity Protection). Maybe you can try it!

Replies

I am working on building an app. Earlier I have used Xcode 7.3.1 at that time everything was working fine. Recently I have installed Xcode 8.0 as well and I have both the setups installed into in two different directories Xcode7.3.1, Xcode8 and I renamed the setup files as well. Everything was working fine but lately I am getting the following error while working with Xcode 8.

"An internal error occurred. Editing functionality may be limited "

and the storyboard view objects are all gone blank but I am able to click on a specific view and still can see their properties defined through attributes inspector but nothing shows up in storyboard still I am able to build the project successfully but while loading it in simulator it says

Unable to boot the iOS simulator

I have followed few tips like reinstalling the Xcode , trashing the derived data from preferences. Nothing helped so far. Please let me know if anyone resolved this issue.

It cost my a lot of time to find a solution. Finally I fixed it by close the Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan SIP(System Integrity Protection). Maybe you can try it!

Buddy, you are awesome.

Disabling the System Intergrity protection in my imac solved the issue, thanks a lot. 🙂

Thank you ,Buddy

Disabling the System Intergrity protection in my mac solved the issue, thanks a lot.

Disabling SIP is NOT the solution to the problem here. It's just masking the real problem.

Users experiencing this issue should collect the following data and file a radar at http://bugreport.apple.com (please leave the radar number in the comment, so I can followup internally on the ticket):

sudo ls -lO / /tmp /var /private /private/tmp /private/var

sudo stat /tmp /private/tmp

sudo sysdiagnose -q

pkgutil --file-info /tmp

pkgutil --file-info /private/tmp

After collecting the above data and filing a radar, you can possibly just **** and recreate it with:

sudo rm -rf /private/tmp

sudo chmod 1777 /private/tmp

sudo rm /tmp

sudo ln -s private/tmp /tmp

If you have no idea what those commands do or how to recover if something goes wrong when executing them, DONT'T DO IT.

Excellent. I know Apple would like us all to report the bug but it's just started happening on Xcode 8.1 for me (on Sierra) and I'm sure not going to wait for 8.2 to appear before it's fixed. Sadly disabling SIP is the only option left.

I have the same problem since upgrading to xcode 8.1. Submitted radar: 29345924

xcode 8.1 on macOS Sierra 10.12.1, brand new Macbook Pro with TouchBar.

Disableing SIP does indeed solve the problem, but Apple really need to fix this as disabling SIP should not be the answer.

I am having this issue on my new 2016 15" MBP, which curiously came with SIP disabled. Xcode 8.2 beta is working fine though. I'll submit a radar later.

Interestingly, after running xcode 8.2 beta and having that work, going back to 8.1 seems to work fine as well. How strange.